Cotoneaster Dieback/Death

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Of all my trees the Cotoneaster are the ones that I have had the most health problems with. This summer has been particularly bad. Parts of or whole branches where the leaves just go brown, and when I've cut off the affected branches I've found the cambium almost or completely brown/dead. I've been using some anti-fungal/anti-bacterial sprays occasionally and it had seemed that they stopped/slowed the issue.

But over the last couple weeks I had one suffer massive die back and it was quite fast with the whole tree dying. And now this one, had already lost a few branches earlier this year, I just lost like the top 80% of it. I've since cut off the death up top. Same thing, fully dead cambium. Anyone have better tips and advice for keeping these alive and healthy?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you have fire blight there. Very serious. I'm not sure it can be saved as it is pretty well gone.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By the way, if it is fire blight you need to burn the plant and sterilize pot and tools.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
By the way, if it is fire blight you need to burn the plant and sterilize pot and tools.
Thanks Penumbra, bad news for sure, I've started reading up on it. But good to know what I'm dealing with - and it definitely fits the bill.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sad for you but happy you know. Cotoneaster make great bonsai but you have to stay ahead of the blight. I have been very lucky here in the Shenandoah Valley.

Top Bottom