Cotoneaster disease?

staffandrey

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

My favorite cotoneaster bonsai seems to have a problem.
After repotting and i don't have any idea what it can be causing the leaves tips to dry and dieback.(See the pictures)
In 9 years i was Repotting it several times, take care of him as usual, no problems at all....until now.
Please Let me know if you experienced the same or what it can be the cause of this illness.
Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
AndreiS

Attachments

• 20230415_171135.jpg
    20230415_171135.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230415_171128.jpg
    20230415_171128.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello Guys,

After repotting and i don't have any idea what it can be causing the leaves tips to dry and dieback.(See the pictures)
In 9 years i was Repotting it several times, take care of him as usual, no problems at all....until now.
Please Let me know if you experienced the same or what it can be the cause of this illness.
Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
AndreiS
Have you checked for bugs? What are the white spots on the leaves?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I treat my cotoneaster like a rose bush or a fruit tree. Fussy and needs lots of tlc to keep happy. I proactively treat with multiple systemic and topical fungicides rotated throughout the growing season.
This 👆🏻

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I concur. They are very fussy and prone to fungal issues. I've lost three of them so far. Find a disease prevention regiment designed for roses and apply that to your cotoneaster. It's your best chance.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
lol you guys really find them that fussy?

The two I have dont give me any problems whatsoever.
I've never had to treat them with anything
Maybe it depends on the cultivar?

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Ive not had any problems growing these either and I certainly never had to spray them with multiple systemic and topical fungicides chemicals to keep them alive! What species /cultivar are you growing?
They are generally such a tough hardy genus easy to grow and are very widely planted as a low maintenance plant in landscaping schemes for that reason!
They can occasionally be infected by the Bacterial disease Fireblight ( Erwinia) but that generally develops in mid- late summer so is unlikely to be the cause of the leaf tip dieback in your case.
I suggest you should be looking at how much of the roots did you remove on the latest repot and what growing medium have you used this time? Did the roots dry out during repotting? Also did you protect them from frost after repotting?

It would help if you could fill in your location so that people can give you better advice specific to your region .

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Up north where temps rarely get too much over 75F/24C, I could see them being more hardy, but in my area, fungus + summer heat = dead cotoneaster. This seems to be the experience of most of the local bonsai folk I've talked to. Only one indicated she found them easy. I don't know what she's doing different. Maybe she has a magic cultivar. Maybe she lives right on the coast where it's cooler most of the year. But the warmer inland? Pfff, it's a yearly game of chance, one I got tired of playing. No more cotoneasters for me.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
lol you guys really find them that fussy?

The two I have dont give me any problems whatsoever.
I've never had to treat them with anything
Maybe it depends on the cultivar?
My summers have pretty extreme humidity so I don't want to risk losing the one I have.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Posted this in General. My contoneasters gave me fits til I got a thrown out almost dead thick one.

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello Guys,

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Andre

staffandrey

Seedling
Reaction score
Ive not had any problems growing these either and I certainly never had to spray them with multiple systemic and topical fungicides chemicals to keep them alive! What species /cultivar are you growing?
They are generally such a tough hardy genus easy to grow and are very widely planted as a low maintenance plant in landscaping schemes for that reason!
They can occasionally be infected by the Bacterial disease Fireblight ( Erwinia) but that generally develops in mid- late summer so is unlikely to be the cause of the leaf tip dieback in your case.
I suggest you should be looking at how much of the roots did you remove on the latest repot and what growing medium have you used this time? Did the roots dry out during repotting? Also did you protect them from frost after repotting?

It would help if you could fill in your location so that people can give you better advice specific to your region .
Hello AJL,
The roots didn't dry out during repotting as I sprayed them with water very often. I used bonsai soil for deciduous trees, but i think it was a bit cold and frosting after that....
Not normal for my area. Maybe that's the cause. Although new shoots are emerging, in the same time some leves are drying. I'm a little bit confused.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is very true that cotoneaster are susceptible to nearly everything. But if those problems don't exist where you live (yet) then consider yourself lucky. When they are happy they grow like a weed, but there is a lot that makes them unhappy.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is very true that cotoneaster are susceptible to nearly everything. But if those problems don't exist where you live (yet) then consider yourself lucky. When they are happy they grow like a weed, but there is a lot that makes them unhappy.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've pretty much ignored mine until last year

Top Bottom