Cotoneaster diseased?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought this cotoneaster Tom Thumb earlier this year and repotted it in the spring. Since reporting it ulkded for a while but now I am wondering if it is something else.

Thinking it could be fungal I sprayed with Daconil last week and will d that again in a week but I thought I'd posy some pictures here for any other advice.

20220712_181617.jpg20220712_181613.jpg20220712_181606.jpg

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Might have done too much root work and this is the result. Full sun. Keep it moist, not wet. Don't let it dry out.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cotoneaster are very disease prone. I went through this multiple times during multiple seasons, before deciding it’s not worth the headache. I tried multiple things to combat the issue before the season and during and once the fungal issue took hold it was curtains. Hate to be a downer, but it was def my experience.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've had a few bad reactions to root pruning cotoneaster. Usually they come good but sometimes takes a whole season and a few just gave up and died.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Might have done too much root work and this is the result. Full sun. Keep it moist, not wet. Don't let it dry out.
Yeah it could have been the root work. I was a little more aggressive than I wanted to be. It had been in full sun. I was worried that was an issue and moved it yesterday but I can move it back.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah it could have been the root work. I was a little more aggressive than I wanted to be. It had been in full sun. I was worried that was an issue and moved it yesterday but I can move it back.
Good chances it was the root work, but I will say, I’ve had Cotoneaster with the absolute minimum amount of root work done and mildly hard chop turn out looking like what yours is looking like. In my experience they just don’t seem to love work in general. Every time i see someone with an excellent Cotoneaster I’m terribly jealous and in awe of its health.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've had a few bad reactions to root pruning cotoneaster. Usually they come good but sometimes takes a whole season and a few just gave up and died.
Chalk another one here for the "gave up and died" column, I think I did it too late? Hard to see those tiny buds opening in the spring.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tried these a few times, lot's of cultivars.....I would agree they seem prone to fungal issues and don't seem to like much done to the roots.......

Bonsai West used to get these pretty much on the reg' from Iseli's.....irresistable little fellers'....never had one a whole season...too bad, they can grow well.

I wonder if it's a "timing" issue? 🤔

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always repot after flowering and never bare root, never have any issues, I’ve reported at bud break in my early bonsai years and and bare rooted them ,every time they died

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cotoneaster are tough and can be worked about anytime. I have two that were done last summer and they are fine. But they do need drainage and good lighting.
Problem is they have a lot of disease issues. If you are not going to treat them prophylactically, you could very well end up losing them.
Think roses and apples.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll get a picture of mine up later this evening. I do spray mine with fungicides regularly and I rotate between four different kinds. Like I said too, lots of sunshine and consistent moisture. They don't like drying out completely.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He needs a second trim for the year, but I'm letting him grow out for awhile.
View attachment 446913View attachment 446914
Ugh. Jealous to the max. Excellent tree. I’ve had several that could have been, should have been special. Death all over the place for me.

I may try again here at some point.

Top Bottom