Cotoneaster haircut...Have a question.

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
After putting it in a box a couple months ago it seems to be doing well. Read on a few sites that they should be pruned monthly so I figured I'd give it a bit of a trim. It's roughly 10'' tall, trunk is about an inch thick before it splits...... Couple questions. How does one encourage growth on one side of a tree? As you can see in the 1st and 3rd pictures all the new growth was mostly on one side. And should I have thinned it out more?

Attachments

• IMG_3314.JPG
    IMG_3314.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1162.JPG
    IMG_1162.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 122

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Nice little tree. Did you turn this tee every couple of days so the sun hit all 4 sides? I suspect not, because the tree got all the light on one side and grew on that side.

Also, pruning hard on one side will encourage growth on the other (and on the pruned side, of course, but since it has been cut back, the tree will have to catch up).

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice little tree. Did you turn this tee every couple of days so the sun hit all 4 sides? I suspect not, because the tree got all the light on one side and grew on that side.

Thx...No I didn't. I didn't know that was necessary outside. It get's a few hours of morning sun on the one side and a few hours of late afternoon sun on the side that had all the new growth. I originally had it in full sun, but it seems to be doing better where I keep my azalea.

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm surprised..I took three of the cuttings from the tree and put them in potting soil. Darn things have already put out roots. I've tried quite a few times with my Firethorn and never had any luck. Go figure.

Top Bottom