Cotoneaster leaves browning

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This guy has been doing well. Was uppotted approx 6 wks ago. Kept in area that got about 6 hrs of sun after the work. Last two weeks or so leaves have started browning from tips and continuing toward base. Photo shows the worst branch. Watering has been consistant. Have used the chopstick method and have watered about every day or every other day depending on need. Have monthly since March alternated between Daconil for disease and 3 in 1 for insects. No insects present. Last week or so Temps have climbed to mid nineties daily. Very low humidity. It was up against rock wall that gets direct afternoon sun and retains heat into the evening. Any ideas??

Attachments

• 20230525_092419.jpg
    20230525_092419.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 47

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hard to say but since you say you're checking the water via chopstick and watering when needed, I don't think this is lack of water.

You said temperatures have been higher the last couple of weeks and that coincides with when the leaves started doing this.

Is it possible that the rock wall is radiating too much heat during the day?

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hard to say but since you say you're checking the water via chopstick and watering when needed, I don't think this is lack of water.

You said temperatures have been higher the last couple of weeks and that coincides with when the leaves started doing this.

Is it possible that the rock wall is radiating too much heat during the day?
I believe that may be the case. I have moved my others to an area receiving morning sun but shade after about 2pm. That wall is great in winter but have my doubts in the heat of summer.

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As stated above I think I have a heat/direct sunlight issue on a cotoneaster. If I were to utilize some nursery sun shade material what % should be used,

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
From the picture it seems to be potted in an awfully large container. If it is overpotting coupled with overwatering this may be the issue.

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the result of mid 90's against rock wall in full sun. Still holding out hope for this guy. Haven't done scratch test yet.

Attachments

• 20230605_184336.jpg
    20230605_184336.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom