Cotoneaster raft

Milly

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love this little raft!
I have a number of rooted cuttings of this cotoneaster and I'm going to do this with one of them.

mrt1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Beautiful. ;)

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks great! What is the mulch on the top of the pot?
That's just a bit of aged wood mulch. At the end of summer I have to scrape off all the gunky crusty surface and re-cover it with something so I can continue to water properly. Anything will do.

Thanks all for the positive comments. Once I get to the stage where I can see some branch detail I will be happier... 5- 10 years should do it.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@MichaelS this is an amazing example of a raft,(or whatever "style" it's called)!!

I don't see many good rafts!

Not many of us do!!:D:D:D

Excellent execution

Agreed!:cool: Nothing looks "out of place", the main tree looks well-established and no remnants of the original root ball. All the "lines" flow in a complimentary direction. Horticulture is obviously spot-on, look at all the fruits, small, healthy leaves....it's almost "too healthy"....o_O;):D:D:D:D:D:D

where I can see some branch detail I will be happier... 5- 10 years should do it.

That should address my "too healthy" baloney, it's so full, just needs some selection/refinement. I assume his is what you mean?:):)

Are you pleased with the pot and the pairing?

Definitely one of the nicest creations I've seen on the site in a while. Would it dismay you if I said "textbook"?o_O It' a compliment, for sure. "You want it to look proper? Aim for this, it's done this way"
Show tree.;):cool::cool:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
[LanceMac10, post: 438947, member: 18233"]

Are you pleased with the pot and the pairing?

Thanks for the compliments Lance. The pot....well it's just standard. Nothing special for sure. Green and red seem to match ok. I like creams with red as well. I would prefer a straighter sided pot as well but I not really worried about pots. I only turn my attention to them if I'm going to put it in a show. I definitely need a bigger pot collection!
What I mean by branch detail is that I look forward to the time when I can see more secondary and even tertiary branches. It will then finally look more settled and I can tweak the contrived look out of it....make it appear wilder kind of thing. Unfortunately that takes a lot of time. As you can see in the middle of the close up, you really only add a few millimetres per year on these dwarf things. Eg; you could finish 2 or 3 Pyracanthas before you finish these! (when I say finish, you know what I mean....)

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That's a really great composition.Only thing for me, is I would like to see the nebari cleaned up and all the moss removed and a better view of it.

Top Bottom