Cotoneaster reproduction?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the Canary Islands there are severe rules when it comes to plants (no yamadoris allowed, it's not possible to buy bonsai or plants online, and certain species are completly banned). One of those nursery (recently) banned species is cotoneaster, wich I've come to love.

IMG_20220622_152345.jpg

I have this one, and I'm thinking about reproducing it by cutting one of those branches and trying to root it......Would that be a good idea?

bdeclerc

Seed
Reaction score
In the Canary Islands there are severe rules when it comes to plants (no yamadoris allowed, it's not possible to buy bonsai or plants online, and certain species are completly banned). One of those nursery (recently) banned species is cotoneaster, wich I've come to love.

I have this one, and I'm thinking about reproducing it by cutting one of those branches and trying to root it......Would that be a good idea?
Let a new branch extend and take it as a cutting - cotoneaster cuttings root *extremely* easily - I've rooted several quite thick several year old branch cuttings and younger semi-hard branches from several species and they hardly ever fail.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Cotoneaster root easily. Young shoots root extremely well as already pointed out but even older branches will usually produce roots.
Seeds are also very viable which is probably why they have been listed as not for sale. I get lots germinating in other pots when the local birds eat the fruit and then deposit seed. They grow quick enough that it is viable to grow shohin sized bonsai from seed in 3-5 years.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Every year I have several seedlings of cotoneaster beneath some of my garden trees.
Birds love to eat the red berries and the seeds end up in my garden.
So you can try to collect some berries of the one you have and try to produce some seedlings.

Top Bottom