Cotoneaster. Seal exposed fibrous branch?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is there a way to seal exposed fibrous wood on a branch?
Or just let it dry and ignore it?

coton 1.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Does not look like the damage has gone down to the cambium and wood under the bark in which case there's no need to seal. New bark developing from the cambium underneath will slowly return it to normal.
Do you know what happened to this one? Some sort of pest having a snack?
Also what species of Cotoneaster is it? Bark looks very familiar but the leaves look a little different from the species I have here.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Does not look like the damage has gone down to the cambium and wood under the bark in which case there's no need to seal. New bark developing from the cambium underneath will slowly return it to normal.
Do you know what happened to this one? Some sort of pest having a snack?
Also what species of Cotoneaster is it? Bark looks very familiar but the leaves look a little different from the species I have here.
Sure don't . It was a driveway pickup from a lady who advertised some she had dug up.

it's a big one. That trunk is 5" diameter.

cotoneaster.JPG

My concern is that the scrummy area kinda encircles the whole branch. Some is hidden by that wire. It could also only be as it "appears" and may not go that deep.
That was my reason for considering some sort of ...seal.

COTO2.jpg

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Much larger than I imagined so it will be one of the larger growing species which explains the leaf shape.
IMHO sealing is unlikely to save the branch. If the cambium is damaged beyond repair sealing now will not help. If the cambium is not damaged then sealing will not help the outer bark. Only time will fix that.

The trunk is impressive but that long branch, which I think is the one with damage, looks out of proportion with the rest of it. If that branch does die I would consider that to be a blessing so you can replace it with better proportioned branch. You should consider doing something about it anyway to create a much better tree in longer term.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I plan to cascade that branch but won't be sure til I see it positioned.
It's hard for me to refer to shrubs as "trees."

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I will watch with interest to see how you manage cascade with that branch. I can see it is heading in the right direction but I think the long straight section and lack of taper may make it hard to produce a good cascade. If it works out that will be great. If it doesn't it can be removed then.
It's hard for me to refer to shrubs as "trees."

I know what you mean. I usually often use the term as an alternative to 'bonsai'

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I would clean it up and "style" the wound back to live bark into shari and paint it with a 15 to 20% household bleach in water once a week or so until it looks clean and healing. Bark "grows" from the inside out, so ugly only gets uglier.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For a second there I thought you were on the coast, and I was thinking, I have no idea what a seal bite looks like.

Sorce

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I will watch with interest to see how you manage cascade with that branch. I can see it is heading in the right direction but I think the long straight section and lack of taper may make it hard to produce a good cascade. If it works out that will be great. If it doesn't it can be removed then.

I know what you mean. I usually often use the term as an alternative to 'bonsai'

Welllll...... I've got a new branch training uppity-like in case I heed the volumes of posts to cut off the long branch and need an apex.

(Wasn't the Longbranch the saloon in Gunsmoke?)

I digress..... I gotta ...SEE.... it in the new pot I got for it. THEN I'll decide.

It, like many cotoneasters doesn't seem overly inclined to ...... TAPER !!!! 😢

I kinda like the split level foliage. But I realize that "kinda liking" isn't a recognized factor in classic bonsai styling. 😞

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It, like many cotoneasters doesn't seem overly inclined to ...... TAPER !!!! 😢
Very few species are overly inclined to taper. Good taper is induced by judicious pruning and growing cycles. Hoping any tree (or shrub) will develop taper is not usually the best strategy.
Good features take time but many of us don't want to take that time. Other options include settling for less than ideal or paying someone else who has already put in the time and effort.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That's true. The lady who tossed it out didn't do it very judiciously.

Top Bottom