Cotoneaster thickening?

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’ve had this small cotoneaster for a short while. From what I’ve read, even under ideal conditions cotoneaster are more prone to growing long at the ends as opposed to thicker at the base. Aside from employing sacrifice branches, has anyone had any luck fattening trunks the traditional way (plant in the ground and let it go)?

Attachments

• 153027D1-7B58-4303-9225-FC4D7912654B.jpeg
    153027D1-7B58-4303-9225-FC4D7912654B.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 35
  • A7BC774A-FC5F-4938-9299-91D2E98CAA74.jpeg
    A7BC774A-FC5F-4938-9299-91D2E98CAA74.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 24D5F3BD-2341-4E13-8771-14F15F533960.jpeg
    24D5F3BD-2341-4E13-8771-14F15F533960.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 35

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Yes. Cotoneaster will thicken faster when allowed to grow. They do grow long branches but those can be removed when the trunk is thick enough. I get best results when a number of branches grow because pruning scars are then smaller and you can choose which lines to follow for better trunk bends.
Even a thick, single trunk can be cut almost anywhere and new buds will sprout. Cutting low gives a larger scar that will take a long time to heal but gives better trunk taper and movement.

Gardens are a good source for already thickened cotoneaster trunks.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check out Brent's article on Evergreen Gardenworks. He basically suggests letting it grow wild - specifically not removing branches - but still trimming branches about about the width of the pot. This keeps the branches from getting too thick, and probably also helps build some movement and ramification that will come in handy when you decide the trunk is thick enough and its time for branch selection. A bigger pot or in the ground should help.

One thing that is controversial is the effect of not pruning at all while growing a trunk vs keeping the plant in check. The podcast with Dennis Vojtilla discusses this - he likes to trim even on trees that are still developing a trunk. This avoids big scars and unnatural movement. His perspective is that the growth of vascular tissue is based upon foliage not height or length of branches. When I think about this from a physiological perspective, in the fall, deciduous trees gather up their energy for storage in the trunk and roots, putting on vascular tissue. Energy is brought in from the leaves as chlorophyll breaks down, then leaves drop. At this point, you can cut back without sacrificing much in the way of thickening the trunk because the tree isn't going to activate all buds next year, only the apical and some advantageous buds. If you cut back to 2 or 3 buds (or to 1 as Dennis suggests), you get to pick the buds the tree puts energy into, you get more natural growth over time, etc. However, many people feel that if you want to thicken the tree, don't cut it at all (or minimally). I don't know the answer, but I take the route of pruning at least in the fall if not also before summer "dormancy" for more natural movement and because I don't have space to let my trees get lanky.

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Check out Brent's article on Evergreen Gardenworks. He basically suggests letting it grow wild - specifically not removing branches - but still trimming branches about about the width of the pot. This keeps the branches from getting too thick, and probably also helps build some movement and ramification that will come in handy when you decide the trunk is thick enough and its time for branch selection. A bigger pot or in the ground should help.

One thing that is controversial is the effect of not pruning at all while growing a trunk vs keeping the plant in check. The podcast with Dennis Vojtilla discusses this - he likes to trim even on trees that are still developing a trunk. This avoids big scars and unnatural movement. His perspective is that the growth of vascular tissue is based upon foliage not height or length of branches. When I think about this from a physiological perspective, in the fall, deciduous trees gather up their energy for storage in the trunk and roots, putting on vascular tissue. Energy is brought in from the leaves as chlorophyll breaks down, then leaves drop. At this point, you can cut back without sacrificing much in the way of thickening the trunk because the tree isn't going to activate all buds next year, only the apical and some advantageous buds. If you cut back to 2 or 3 buds (or to 1 as Dennis suggests), you get to pick the buds the tree puts energy into, you get more natural growth over time, etc. However, many people feel that if you want to thicken the tree, don't cut it at all (or minimally). I don't know the answer, but I take the route of pruning at least in the fall if not also before summer "dormancy" for more natural movement and because I don't have space to let my trees get lanky.
Definitely an interesting take but it does indeed makes sense. I’ve seen a bit of controversy as well when it comes to pruning advantageously vs letting the tree grow wild. I have a few different species currently undergoing the “hands off” approach so maybe I’ll try my hand at up-potting and pruning this cotoneaster to compare results. Due to its size I don’t think it would take too long to see a noticeable increase in diameter, my main concern presently is the relation of the trunk diameter to the main branches diameters, as there is little difference and doesn’t make for a very convincing tree.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Due to its size I don’t think it would take too long to see a noticeable increase in diameter, my main concern presently is the relation of the trunk diameter to the main branches diameters, as there is little difference and doesn’t make for a very convincing tree.
Don't worry about which are branches and which are trunks at this stage. During thickening everything will change anyway. Maybe one of those branches will become the trunk when you prune back. Maybe the trunk and all those branches will be sacrifice branches and removed when better shoots grow.

I am also firmly on the side of pruning while thickening. Strong, straight trunks make telephone poles, not bonsai. After cutting a tall, straight trunk you then need to grow a new apex long enough to blend with the lower stump. Then more growing and more cuts to grow the rest of the trunk with taper. Large cuts take many years to heal so even if thickening is faster the following development takes much longer when you have made one giant chop.

Some early pruning gives more branches and trunks. Lots of branches and/or trunks give much more options to prune for taper and trunk shape and smaller cuts heal faster.

mdavis27

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Don't worry about which are branches and which are trunks at this stage. During thickening everything will change anyway. Maybe one of those branches will become the trunk when you prune back. Maybe the trunk and all those branches will be sacrifice branches and removed when better shoots grow.

I am also firmly on the side of pruning while thickening. Strong, straight trunks make telephone poles, not bonsai. After cutting a tall, straight trunk you then need to grow a new apex long enough to blend with the lower stump. Then more growing and more cuts to grow the rest of the trunk with taper. Large cuts take many years to heal so even if thickening is faster the following development takes much longer when you have made one giant chop.

Some early pruning gives more branches and trunks. Lots of branches and/or trunks give much more options to prune for taper and trunk shape and smaller cuts heal faster.
Funny enough, I arrived at a similar conclusion last night while I was watering/inspecting my handful of trees. Racking my brain about which branch would be better or more useful, when I took a step back and saw this little cotoneaster compared to some of my bigger trees and shrubs that are due to be cut back next spring. Some of those I haven’t chosen a leader or finalized a design just yet, but it made me realize that if I give this one some time (especially with pruning) that it could take just about any form.
I think my favorite thing about bonsai is how much your own opinion or decision making can change just from further analysis and thinking yourself through a situation (and also probing for input on these forums). I haven’t been at it long but, being an analytical person, it’s safe to say I am hooked.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most people cannot get past looking at the existing trunk as the trunk. Once you get used to seeing any branch as a possible future trunk many more options are open.
Just don't get too hung up on analysis. Trying to find the 'right' answer in bonsai only causes procrastination and stops development. Unlike maths and physics there are almost always a number of valid paths to follow, many leading to vastly different but equally good outcomes.

Top Bottom