Cotoneaster Varieties

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
This little plant is quickly becoming one of my favorites. There are many types as we all know. Does anyone have a favorite?

What characteristics do you like about it?
In what style(s) have you trained said type?
Pictures?

Likewise, have you tried a type that was not as suitable for bonsai use?
What characteristics made it so?

Thanks!

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cotoneaster was one of my first attemts at bonsai.
I've killed more of them than any other variety I've tried.
I hope to return to them someday after I'm a little more horticulturally adept.
I had the best luck at with "Cooperi" but lost them as well. Below is a link to a fine article from Brent Watson at Evergreen Gardenworks.

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/cotonbon.htm

Tell me about your avatar. I've bought stuff from c28 in the past myself.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I spend much time on Brent's site. He has great info and great plants. In fact I just ordered some Cooperi from him.

Nice catch on my avatar! C28 is a great company. They do some very good work on top of running a business that my sons and I shop at a great deal.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have three "cranberry" cotoneaster that I am training in one gallon pots. I like that they are cheap, small, and have flowers and fruit. I had a very nice shohin cotonester that met its demise at the hands (paws) of my dog, will post a pic later.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
I have three "cranberry" cotoneaster that I am training in one gallon pots. I like that they are cheap, small, and have flowers and fruit. I had a very nice shohin cotonester that met its demise at the hands (paws) of my dog, will post a pic later.

Just bought a cranberry cottoneaster on sale at a local nursery decent, but small trunk. But trunk has nice movement. And the leaves are tiny and looks like the internodes are pretty dense. I think it will make a great shohin! It's all bushy now but, but i'm going to do some preliminary pruning to get a better look at it.... will post before and after pics soon...

Top Bottom