Cotoneaster winter care

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I checked it every day soil was always moist. Maybe I over watered it? It went a week between waterings near end of winter because the tree didn't seam to be using it up. I got a replacement one delivered today so I'll keep a better eye on the watering.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I checked it every day soil was always moist. Maybe I over watered it? It went a week between waterings near end of winter because the tree didn't seam to be using it up. I got a replacement one delivered today so I'll keep a better eye on the watering.
Possibly, I usually just dump a pint or so per tree once a month for trees wintered in the garage.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
replacement one delivered today

I hope not from over 40F socal!

Welcome to Crazy!

You have way more important things to do than the things you need to do to keep a socal tree alive in PA.

Nature's Way probably got Cotoneaster.

Sorce

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorce yes from socal they gave me a replacement. I think now that I found this great forum with all of the great knowledgeable people I think these Trees have a good chance. Hope the tree acclimates to PA weather. Where I got the tree from has smaller trees that aren't full bonsai yet that I can learn on and prices are low so not losing a lot of money. Included a picture of it. It's pretty much a 3-6 year old nursery stock in a bonsai pot I see if I can keep alive a year and if so then I start training it thanks again

Attachments

• 20220726_152325.jpg
    20220726_152325.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 7

Zac

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok so from reading content on this forum I'm thinking maybe I should use my east - northeast facing window wells as cold frames for my cotoneaster,Chinese elm and false Holly goshiki. The wells have the well covers on them and are concrete with stone at bottom about 1 1/2- 2 foot deep the basement stays around 50-60 degrees year round I'm in zone 6b in Franklin county in south Central PA. Thinking this might be better then unheated uninsulated shed. Thanks

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok so from reading content on this forum I'm thinking maybe I should use my east - northeast facing window wells as cold frames for my cotoneaster,Chinese elm and false Holly goshiki. The wells have the well covers on them and are concrete with stone at bottom about 1 1/2- 2 foot deep the basement stays around 50-60 degrees year round I'm in zone 6b in Franklin county in south Central PA. Thinking this might be better then unheated uninsulated shed. Thanks

The only problem with the covers is you will have to open them once in a while to make sure your trees don't dry out.

I keep my cold frame open unless temps drop below 30 so the trees can get rain. I even let it snow on them.

Not sure why someone said cotoneaster is fussy/difficult. I have not had any issues the the two I have

Top Bottom