Cotton looking stuff on Lodge Pole branches. Help pls

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Could someone let me know what this might be and if I should spray. Only on one tree Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2907.jpg
    IMG_2907.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2908.jpg
    IMG_2908.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2909.jpg
    IMG_2909.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2910.jpg
    IMG_2910.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 70

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
NEEM or some other horticultural oil spray will nix them (may have to spray again in a couple of weeks to nix the guys that are eggs now).

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Photos are not clear but white cotton on pines is usually pine bark adelgid.
Large numbers can devastate trees so treatment is required. They can be difficult to deal with because of the protective cottony covering.
Oils prays work but every part must be covered and follow up is essential to get any that were missed or new hatchings.
Rubbing alcohol kills them but every individual must be treated and follow up will be required as with oil sprays.
Systemic insecticides are also effective.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Wish I had a Hemlock Frank. They are not right around here unfortunately. Thanks for the warning though.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wish I had a Hemlock Frank. They are not right around here unfortunately. Thanks for the warning though.
I may have mentioned this before, but are you very far from Pendleton Oregon, Forestry maps show Mountain hemlock in higher elevations of the Blue Mountains in North Eastern Oregon. One of the few sites further east for their range. Evidently the maritime weather moves into that area producing higher rainfall and cooler climate at higher elevations. No idea how accessible or if the whole area is national forest. One of the areas spoken about is Umatilla National Forest. Forestry research maps from a variety of sources all document that general location for Mountain Hemlock.
Of course my idea of near by is any place within a day or three of driving!😉 So that makes it near by for me!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Frank for that info. I will look for some of the the maps you mentioned. I live about 2 hrs from Pendleton, so not to bad.

I was over in Bend, Or over the weekend on a short honey moon and while there, checked out a native plant nursery that I heard had recently received a bunch (50 or so) of recently collected Mt. Hemlocks. They were 2-5" tall but, unfortunately, not doing well at all. A number were dead, and a lot of the others looked like they were headed that direction. Tough conditions for recently collected trees in Oregon with 100 degree days. I also think total shade and misting might have helped. I was unaware that nurseries would take very recently collected trees and sell them to the public. I would think they would hold them for a year or so to be sure of survival.

I am going to try and fall collect some Mt Hemlock this year and would like to hear of anyone's experience with that. Help appreciated!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was unaware that nurseries would take very recently collected trees and sell them to the public. I would think they would hold them for a year or so to be sure of survival.
For me, that would be a red flag. Speaks loudly with respect to priorities. Not a practise that serious collectors or retailers would follow in my opinion. The current heat wave is a definite factor that would necessitate additional care and longer transition times after collection. Economics will be involved, difficult to care for collected trees for several years and then sell them to a middleman who needs/wants to mark them up considerably for profit. The cost of acquiring a quality collected tree is considerable if one puts any value on time spent to locate, collect, transition to health and prepare for sale!
If groups of trees are being collected for this purpose, I would suspect the selection criteria has been adjusted with quality suffering at the expense of increased quantity.

Top Bottom