Could a conifer/juniper work for this

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Will need to ask seller...if it's frost proof. This was basically all it said. But it had a BIN and I didn't wish to lose it before they got back to me. I have a small juniper that may work...
6. From Nature’s Way Nursery in Pennsylvania: Gayle Fiato of New York pot. Wood-fired pot with great coloration. Very adaptable. Exterior measurements of 3.25 x 4 x 1.75 inches. Buyer pays cheapest shipping via USPS out of Pennsylvania. Handling Free. Payment via Paypal. Buy It Now: $30 w/free domestic shipping. Starting bid $20 w/ no reserve.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
That's an accent pot, and really not meant to have a conifer in it. Picture it with small flowering plants, mosses or ferns.

...nice pot, by the way, and probably vitrified so frost proof...:)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's an accent pot, and really not meant to have a conifer in it. Picture it with small flowering plants, mosses or ferns.

...nice pot, by the way, and probably vitrified so frost proof...:)
What is it with me and accent pots! Geesh...

I was thinking of this tiny juniper...it's so small. (Middle one) It's plastic pot is in the bonsai pot so it won't blow over in the wind. It was one that was gifted to me when my friends BIL passed away. Thought maybe to...make it look a bit nicer on the bench. So what suggestion would you recommend for it?
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
By the way, there's no reason why YOU couldn't plant the juniper in that pot, as long as it is the right size. The mantra is that confers should always be planted in unglazed pots, but honestly, it wouldn't look half bad in there.

Thanks Dave! I wish I had taken a before photo of it. It was a purchase made from bonsaiboy.com. (They found the receipt) It was wired to keep it poker straight...and staggered branching with a good inch between each one. It looked scraggly...I left the wire on...and bent the trunk. It's more..."me".

Don't plan on showing...just making things look decent on the bench. And not having things blow off. Loved the pot and had this in mind. But, can see it as an actual accent pot. But...may stick this in there.

Will need to look into when to repot...I have not repotted or needed to repot one. I was staying away from them. I sort of had a hate/hate relationship with them. Love the shimpaku...not so much the procumben. But...how to tell my friend no...I won't take them. The cascade...I'm just letting grow out. Not sure I see anything in there yet as a direction. So...until I see inspiration in it...I thinned it and just do horticultural needs.

The shimpaku...what sort of shape pot would it go into...keep it round? (not glazed because it's something I want to look appropriate)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The shape/style of the tree dictates the pot shape. With that said, that tree would be fine in a round or square, imo. mixing and matching trees and pots can be fun...time to get more pots!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What is it with me and accent pots! Geesh...

I was thinking of this tiny juniper...it's so small. (Middle one) It's plastic pot is in the bonsai pot so it won't blow over in the wind. It was one that was gifted to me when my friends BIL passed away. Thought maybe to...make it look a bit nicer on the bench. So what suggestion would you recommend for it?
View attachment 93462

Maybe something like this;

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/401064188084

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will need to ask seller...if it's frost proof. This was basically all it said. But it had a BIN and I didn't wish to lose it before they got back to me. I have a small juniper that may work...

View attachment 93457 View attachment 93458 View attachment 93459 View attachment 93460
Darlene, no need to ask about frostproof. The "finish" is melted wood ash and it would be fired high enough for almost all clays to be close to vitrified ( non absorbent)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the pot the shimpaku is In . Looks like an interesting little guy
Thanks...got him from a contact. Scott Lee sells on FB auctions...I sent him a PM saying I wanted a tree that twisted. He gave me a few options for my price range. If you do Facebook look him up. Very reputable...priced fare.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks...got him from a contact. Scott Lee sells on FB auctions...I sent him a PM saying I wanted a tree that twisted. He gave me a few options for my price range. If you do Facebook look him up. Very reputable...priced fare.
Yea I stopped on the fb auctions. Stuff (to me) is way overpriced.I've done alot better else where

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not going to discredit it just yet. I tend to like my foliage inside the top of the pot. But looking at images see that many don't follow to that policy. (Unless a cascade,or slant)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Will need to ask seller...if it's frost proof.

It is, I am pretty certain all of her work is. Nature's Way still sells her work. Pretty certain she is in Massachusetts now, used to be in Shushan NY. At the Juried bonsai pot exhibition last Summer she had a pretty cool Cascade Pot there. Dave Bennett @ABCarve Had a real beauty in the Cascade entries as well. Both of those pots were cone 10.

Well worth the trip to D.C. next year. Sara Rayner was there as a Juror as well as others. Nice long running event.

The pot you have there may not be "proper" for that Juniper but honest with it being more shallow I think it will still look nice and it is your bench after all ;)

Grimmy

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is, I am pretty certain all of her work is. Nature's Way still sells her work. Pretty certain she is in Massachusetts now, used to be in Shushan NY. At the Juried bonsai pot exhibition last Summer she had a pretty cool Cascade Pot there. Dave Bennett @ABCarve Had a real beauty in the Cascade entries as well. Both of those pots were cone 10.

Well worth the trip to D.C. next year. Sarah Rayner was there as a Juror as well as others. Nice long running event.

The pot you have there may not be "proper" for that Juniper but honest with it being more shallow I think it will still look nice and it is your bench after all ;)

Grimmy
One would almost take you for a stalker...o_O...as informative you are on the topic. But...glad to hear it...and to have a bit of info on the Potter herself.

Thanks Grimmy! ;)

I love everything about the pot...shape,size (small),and the glaze finish. So...I will do by best to get that tiny young tree in that pot. Just as an accent to the pot...for...it's far from a glorious tree. I have no huge high hopes for the tree itself. Other than keeping it alive so I can make my friend have comfort in it. Maybe years from now...when it's more than a stick in a pot. I will draw inspiration. But I'm not in any hurry to speed it along. It can reside in a tiny pot for the sake of the pot...and be tended as such.

Top Bottom