Could I get some direction on a laurel oak?

Mannythered

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ve just acquired this, but I can’t find much information on how I can over winter this in my temperature zone(4b). I’m not quite sure how to go about starting to style it either. I have a couple of ideas, but I would greatly appreciate any help!

Attachments

• F26B8F8B-6D8A-4673-9B4D-E7BA979A23B7.jpeg
    F26B8F8B-6D8A-4673-9B4D-E7BA979A23B7.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 191

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can't see the structure clear enough for design help, need better close pictures

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm assuming you are in North America, zone 4b is pretty cold in winter. Laurel oak, Quercus laurifolia, is a south eastern USA oak, the native range is mostly zones 8, 9 & 10. For winter in zone 4b you will need a cool place, that ideally stays between 28 F up to 40 F. This is roughly -2 C to + 4 C. You need to keep it below 4 C, or below 40 F if you want to keep it totally dormant for winter. The branches can probably survive to much colder temperatures, but the roots are likely intolerant of being frozen, as in zones 7, 8 & 9, if the ground freezes, it does not freeze very deep at all. It is in the red oak section Erythrobalanus but it retains its leaves all winter, it is a "live oak" meaning it keeps its leaves over winter.

If you winter it between 28 F and 40 F, you do not have to have light on it. It can be stored in the dark. This is because at those cold temps, metabolism is very low.

If you can not get the temperatures that low. It can be wintered warmer, in an area with cool nights, say below 55 F. but it will need a very bright location. Because above 40 F it will need light to make sugars for metabolism. Here a cool greenhouse would be idea.

You might be able to keep it going under lights in winter, especially if your lights set up is in a cool, unheated room that stays above freezing.

Hope that helps.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great trunk;)! If having ANY room would offer to take it off your hands here in Zone 8 to insure winter survival. While in Winter storage be sure not to allow roots to dry out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's pretty nice.

I think I would cut whatever uneccesary top off that trunk there is, so you can start populating that area with keeper parts of branching.

We are able to rent space at The Hidden Gardens for wintering. Perhaps you have a local greenhouse.

Sorce

Mannythered

Seedling
Reaction score
That's pretty nice.

I think I would cut whatever uneccesary top off that trunk there is, so you can start populating that area with keeper parts of branching.

We are able to rent space at The Hidden Gardens for wintering. Perhaps you have a local greenhouse.

Sorce

Attachments

• E42E61E9-3A2B-451A-B309-D42F0F5C1214.jpeg
    E42E61E9-3A2B-451A-B309-D42F0F5C1214.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 785DD64F-D19D-4907-9E5C-23BF17B61CDE.jpeg
    785DD64F-D19D-4907-9E5C-23BF17B61CDE.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 115

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There should be some taper somewhere.

I think your best bet is to allow subtrunks to provide taper to smaller branches.

You really don't want to just leave this taperless trunk branching.

I don't know how these grow but it seems reasonable to expect some possibilities out of it seeing how thick that green branch got.

Capture+_2020-08-08-13-28-14.png
Maybe a good v cut? I don't know these well enough.

You are toying with differences to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Which translates to nice trees equally.

Sorce

Mannythered

Seedling
Reaction score

I think your best bet is to allow subtrunks to provide taper to smaller branches.

I don't know how these grow but it seems reasonable to expect some possibilities out of it seeing how thick that green branch got.

View attachment 321799

Sorce

View attachment 321799

Sorce

View attachment 321799

Sorce
And this is the type of thing that keeps me super humble. I absolutely love you’re idea! I honestly don’t think I would ever have thought about that. I obviously need a whole lot to learn asweel

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just go slow. I swore there was a respectable member here with one of these, I can't find them in a search. They are semi regular.

You should be able to find some better ideas about how these grow.

I think they'll agree this is a pretty good start. But it seems easy to screw it up! Go slow!

Sorce

Mannythered

Seedling
Reaction score
Just go slow. I swore there was a respectable member here with one of these, I can't find them in a search. They are semi regular.

You should be able to find some better ideas about how these grow.

I think they'll agree this is a pretty good start. But it seems easy to screw it up! Go slow!

Sorce
Yeah, absolutely! I am hands down not wanting to risk anything with this one. I’m thinking about waiting a season or two before doing any work on it.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Personally, I would remove some of the branching that comes out of the trunk at the same spot and then grow the apex slightly taller to round out the crown. Put it in a nice pot and enjoy. I wouldn't do anything drastic. Cool tree.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A point of question: As presented tree has rootage only left/right. Nothing in middle. What does rootage look like from other side? Love lower left secondary trunk🥰.

Mannythered

Seedling
Reaction score
A point of question: As presented tree has rootage only left/right. Nothing in middle. What does rootage look like from other side? Love lower left secondary trunk🥰.
It’s sad to say, but it’s the same on the back side. Just the two main roots you see on the front :(

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In illustration above with green/red marks keep secondary trunk with green mark. Cut just above right branch at red mark angling down to just above lower left trunk. This gives twin trunk tree with good base trunk, some taper and neither trunk straight up/boring or crowding the other. Begin putting movement into small branches left on these worth keeping. Grow seedlings and thread graft to get needed added rootage. 3-5 will be needed so may need to do in stages over 2-4 years. Use 1st year twig thin seedlings so holes drilled can be kept small as possible and healing faster/neater. Should wind up as very nice tree;).

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve just acquired this, but I can’t find much information on how I can over winter this in my temperature zone(4b). I’m not quite sure how to go about starting to style it either. I have a couple of ideas, but I would greatly appreciate any help!

Please add location to profile.

Top Bottom