Could someone ID these bugs - and offer a solution?

jimrawr

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a LOT of these on my Fukien Tea bonsai and would like to get rid of them, I think they are slowly killing the tree it certainly doesnt look healthy right now. Is there something I can buy thats easy to find to treat them with? Something I could pick up from a home depot ? They look like tiny little ants

Thanks

IMG_9948_zps42775234.jpg

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I could be wrong but they look like a stage of termites. If they're ants they'll be carrying food to some other insect probably in the leaves of your tree. How do the leaves look can you take a picture of the bark of your tree, front and back of a sick leaf, and where a leaf connects to a branch?

Last edited:

terry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is my take also. I have had to treat 3 different properties for these little devils. Sure looks like termites.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are probably ghost ants. Ants can wreak havoc on a plants root system if they are nesting in it. Try using a bait type ant killer outside of, but nearby, the pot.

Last edited:

jimrawr

Seedling
Reaction score
Is any product that I can buy in a hardware store safe for use or should I be looking to use something specific that wont harm the tree?

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
My first thought is termites too, oh shit those eat wood right? haha. I'm no pest control expert but you oughtta kill them right away.

jimrawr

Seedling
Reaction score
Ill also add the tree has had these now for some months and they have never had wings, which I think termites do.. ? They also scatter like crazy when I water the tree. When I dont water it they are not even visible.

Last edited:

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
But maybe they are ghost ants or some type of ant actually, their thorax and abdomen are segmented more like an ant's where as a termite it usually appears to have one section fade into the next. And their heads seem a bit smaller that a typical termite. That white growth has got to be some sort of fungus, ALOT of insect species that have a close interaction with plants/trees often have a fungus species associated with them that they carry. Often times it's a symbiotic reltionships. For example, leaf cutter ants actually don't eat those peices of leaf you see them carrying around. They bring all those leaves into their nest where they grow a giant fungus on the leaves then eat the fungus for food. They'll actually carry the fiungus with them when trying to make a new colony. So my rough guess is the ants brought whatever that white growth is with them. In addiction to whatever insecticide approach you take, I would suggest doing a fungicide spray too.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Both ants and termites can have or not have wings at certain times. Termites/ants/bees/wasps are all in the same Family (Hymenoptera). Winged ants or termites are only bred in a colony when the colony is thriving/well established and these winged individuals it is actually their job to go seek out sites and establish new colonies, more or less. You can compare the multitude of forms in just one species of Hymenopterans to humans having 2 types (male and female), where some ant species could have 5 different genetic forms, all controlled by the combination of the sex chromosomes, which they have more than two types (for us it's just x and y). Fascinating huh!?

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Ill also add the tree has had these now for some months and they have never had wings, which I think termites do.. ? They also scatter like crazy when I water the tree. When I dont water it they are not even visible.

I'm guessing that means they're living in your soil, and ants usually seek high ground when they're being drowned. Like any human with common sense. lol.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ok, your tree has some serious issues. First you have mealy bugs which have a waxy coating. I think you may also have mites due to the bud picture and most likely the ants are helping these insects. Order this systemic product it will kill the ants and the mealy bugs it will take 2 weeks to work so you'll have to take other steps as well. http://amzn.com/B000BX1HKI. Unfortunately most sprays won't work on the mealy bugs as they're covered with a waxy protection. Pick off every one of those white fluffy things you can find. They also build white webs which is what you see around the bud mostly. I'd suggest spraying the top foliage while your eaiting for the systemic to kick in after you remove them with diluted rubbing alcohol which disolves their waxy shell and diluted dish soap which kills them. Recipes can be found online for mixing it. If you don't treat this tree immediately by removing the mealy bugs the tree will likely die in the next week or two.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In addition to treating the pests, get rid of those things which I assume are large rocks visible in the first picture. That will make it easier to judge watering and less easy for pests to have a place to hide out and colonize in.

ed

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you aren't sure what they are i've labeled the pics for you. I only see mealy bugs in most of the pics but the black dots on in the white web around the bud could be mites, or something else or that could be nothing.

IMG_9958_zps8c2daa8e copy.jpgIMG_9962_zps51fa17e7.jpgIMG_9961_zpsb53884f4.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have had good luck with this, it kills most everything:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/N-5yc1v/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-bayer+insecticide?browsestoreoption=2

bayer.jpg

You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes, and some Walmart stores.

First, prepare the solution as per the instructions in a tub and immerse the pot up to the trunk in it. Let it sit for five minutes and then take it out and let it drain. Then mix some more up and spray the tree. Wait a week and spray again. You should be pest free after that.

The insects shown it the first picture look like termites to me, same a others have noted. I have seen the other insects that you have shown on the buds and branches on some of the azaleas that I have. The recommended product by Bayer worked wonders on them.

Hope it Helps,

John

Last edited:

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, your tree has some serious issues. First you have mealy bugs which have a waxy coating. I think you may also have mites due to the bud picture and most likely the ants are helping these insects. Order this systemic product it will kill the ants and the mealy bugs it will take 2 weeks to work so you'll have to take other steps as well. http://amzn.com/B000BX1HKI. Unfortunately most sprays won't work on the mealy bugs as they're covered with a waxy protection. Pick off every one of those white fluffy things you can find. They also build white webs which is what you see around the bud mostly. I'd suggest spraying the top foliage while your eaiting for the systemic to kick in after you remove them with diluted rubbing alcohol which disolves their waxy shell and diluted dish soap which kills them. Recipes can be found online for mixing it. If you don't treat this tree immediately by removing the mealy bugs the tree will likely die in the next week or two.

I have had good luck with this, it kills most everything:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/N-5yc1v/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-bayer+insecticide?browsestoreoption=2

View attachment 46486

You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes, and some Walmart stores.

First, prepare the solution as per the instructions in a tub and immerse the pot up to the trunk in it. Let it sit for five minutes and then take it out and let it drain. Then mix some more up and spray the tree. Wait a week and spray again. You should be pest free after that.

The insects shown it the first picture look like termites to me, same a others have noted. I have seen the other insects that you have shown on the buds and branches on some of the azaleas that I have. The recommended product by Bayer worked wonders on them.

Hope it Helps,

John

I agree with both these. Mealy bugs are a pain and ass on my orchids. I use strait alcohol. You can also get a orchid bug spray that works well from lower. I'm brain farting the name right now. Ill try to find it.

Top Bottom