Could use some help with my new Juniper Bonsai. Branches are browning

Justadude

Seedling
Reaction score
4E9DC3A6-CEBA-4A63-AB1B-3411D3BB1CB5.jpeg7D9F20FF-3442-4E69-8B0C-996C02249B00.jpeg

Attachments

• CEEFA2FC-8A9A-4176-9689-8A4F0D5A9133.jpeg
    CEEFA2FC-8A9A-4176-9689-8A4F0D5A9133.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 1B0AA9BD-377D-45D7-B537-17E8CC79FB6E.jpeg
    1B0AA9BD-377D-45D7-B537-17E8CC79FB6E.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 265804E7-BD6A-4D6D-88C2-9354AB156A75.jpeg
    265804E7-BD6A-4D6D-88C2-9354AB156A75.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 9

Justadude

Seedling
Reaction score
Put it outside. It will die inside.
Ok i will try that. What about in the winter time? It can snow pretty bad to the point where it will get covered, so I wouldnt want to leave it outside

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok i will try that. What about in the winter time? It can snow pretty bad to the point where it will get covered, so I wouldnt want to leave it outside
Also add location to profile please. No idea where is home. Most juniper suffer very harsh living conditions naturally:eek:.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Some of the browning appears to be natural old needles dying. That is something that happens whether the tree is inside or out but I agree with the others. Juniper really don't like being indoors for any time. Outer growth appears healthy but I think there may be some speckling on some of the older green needles which could be caused by mites which just love indoor conditions. Look up mites on plants and check for fine webbing or tiny black dust sized poo under the plants.

Junipers are naturally mountain trees. Many are covered in snow every winter and survive just fine. We really need to know where you live to offer better advice related to your specific climate and winter.

Justadude

Seedling
Reaction score
Some of the browning appears to be natural old needles dying. That is something that happens whether the tree is inside or out but I agree with the others. Juniper really don't like being indoors for any time. Outer growth appears healthy but I think there may be some speckling on some of the older green needles which could be caused by mites which just love indoor conditions. Look up mites on plants and check for fine webbing or tiny black dust sized poo under the plants.

Junipers are naturally mountain trees. Many are covered in snow every winter and survive just fine. We really need to know where you live to offer better advice related to your specific climate and winter.

Thank you for your help. I checked out the tree but I didn’t see any mites on it. I’ve seen them on plants before but don’t see any yet. I just got it a week ago too so i hope they wouldn’t give me an infested plant from the start. But anyway, i live in Massachusetts and snow can pile up pretty high here, you think it will alright outside of should i bring it in when it snows?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Um, do you have junipers in the garden, around in landscape plantings in the neighborhood., on the hills or mountains around you? Those junipers have been around 10, 20,50 to 1,000 years exposed to snow every winter. Yours will too if you put the pot on the ground outside in a place that's sheltered from the wind. Not doing that a bringing it inside will kill it, probably this winter.

orangeyeoman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
you think it will alright outside of should i bring it in when it snows?
Heel it in with mulch, and leave it out. They're trees, and survive winters just fine so long as their roots are insulated. Maybe bring it in an unheated garage if it's going below 0 F for a few days, but that's about it. Think about all the ones people have as ornamentals in their yards. USDA Hardiness Zones for juniper chinensis is 3 to 9. Massachusetts goes from 5a, to 7b.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am in Massachusetts zine 6a near Worcester. My junipers stay on the bench unless it is going to be less than 28 F. At that point I place them on the ground. Sometime after the start of December they get moved to their winter storage location. My nicer junipers winter in a basement bulkhead that I can keep between 20 and 40 F. My other junipers stay outside against the house out of the wind and buried in leaves.

Top Bottom