Couple for transformation.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have these two literati trees I wish to start styling soon. the first is a JBP. This tree is from the nursery in the article I wrote in Golden Statements recently. The tree is from Hoshiko Yamaguchi. It is about 40 inches tall and the trunk is about 1.5 inches across at the base.

The second is a shimpaku juniper. It is about 25 inches tall and about 3/4 inch across at the base.

Attachments

• DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC_00020002.JPG
    DSC_00020002.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 341

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Smoke, I like your trees. They should make nice literatis. Approximately how old would guess these trees to be? I have a 3 young shimpaku that I am growing out to make literatis with some day. I really like the sun in the background!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pine is about 30 years old and the shimpaku is about 12 years old.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those will be fun... you can send me the pine if you change your mind about working on it. lol

V

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Like your Pine Al....I think its a good candidate. To me its begging for that style. The Juniper I'm not so sure about. However I am sure you have something planned that will do justice to this material...will look forward to the progression of both

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
That pine is going to be sharp. That was a good find.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
SMOKE, I love seeing updates of older posts. Do you have anything new to share with your literati projects?

I am totally fascinated with the literati style and just can't find enough to study.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This pine has seen some work lately. It was found to be pretty weak in the state I purchased it. after a work session with Ted Matson, it was decided to repot the tree now into a better soil as the root ball was incased in mud. Ted felt that the season was good to repot now since the tree had no new buds and was literally in fall dormancy. It was potted in a ponding basket.

There is still enough good weather left this fall ( still in the high 80's and low 90's this week) to probably see if the repot sparks some movement.

The tree was also fall needle plucked to induce budding on the branch tips to ramify those areas. Basicly each branchlet ends in a single tuft of needles rather than fork. I need more tips.

Ted also let me know that this was not a black pine, but an Austrian pine. Needles will be shorter, as well as the color lighter and the growth slower. He did not feel that the low amount of buds on the trees was any reason to get excited since these pines will bud differently than JPB. The buds look like small pione cones that have dried up. But closer inspection, via TEd showed me that indeed there needles there, they are just almost microscopic. So I wasn't totally void of buds, just not very many.

I have time here so I won't push any design issues yet. We did tag all the branches for removal and I will show that later this weekend.

Attachments

• DSC_00100001.JPG
    DSC_00100001.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_00110002.JPG
    DSC_00110002.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 62

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Comparison.