Couple new projects.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up a couple new projects yesterday from my nursery friend/customer. He needed a motorcycle house call which always costs him a tree or two:)

Mt St Helens Azalea and some sort of Ilex. Both have some crazy roots and dug out of the back corners of one of his greenhouses.

Here is the Azalea.

Attachments

• IMG_20160604_170304323.jpg
    IMG_20160604_170304323.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20160604_170316326.jpg
    IMG_20160604_170316326.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20160604_174707094.jpg
    IMG_20160604_174707094.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20160604_174724509.jpg
    IMG_20160604_174724509.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 120

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ilex of some sort.

Attachments

• IMG_20160604_170053786.jpg
    IMG_20160604_170053786.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20160604_183801676_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160604_183801676_HDR.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20160604_190644117.jpg
    IMG_20160604_190644117.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20160604_191806544.jpg
    IMG_20160604_191806544.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 116

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A fragrant azalea? Nice.
Interesting, but probably unhealthy root.
CW

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have your work cut out for you getting those roots in any kind of shape. What are your plans?
Just try to keep alive for now and chase buds back down the branches. I always pick out of his junk he won't sell.

A fragrant azalea? Nice.
Interesting, but probably unhealthy root.
CW
Don't know about the fragrant part but hope to smell next spring if I can get it going in time this year to bud. Everything looked unhealthy and roots were only a quarter way down the huge nursery pot. Just raked em out a bit and put in some better draining soil/pot.

The Ilex?(I think) was full pot of roots and I cut back way too much. Got away w/that on a big Holley so I did it again. Right or wrong. Didn't tackle straighteng any roots on the surface. Maybe next year if they live.

Attachments

• IMG_20160605_101627435.jpg
    IMG_20160605_101627435.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20160605_101714295.jpg
    IMG_20160605_101714295.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 102

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. I'm not sure what it is.

Attachments

• 1465147218589-1740714011.jpg
    1465147218589-1740714011.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 96

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The azalea, I suspect is one of the North American native species, likely it is which ever one is native to the area around Mount St. Helens. Probably a deciduous azalea. They don't bud back as nicely as Satsuki, but they do back bud. Their growth will tend to be leggy, as they tend to keep most of their foliage at the ends of branches. Most deciduous azaleas have lightly to strongly fragrant flowers. Well worth growing, it may or might not submit to "bonsai techniques". But I would go ahead and try.

For the time of year, you don't have as many leaves as I would expect. Before you do anything get it growing better. They like at least a half day of morning sun, possibly more. Give it a year or two of growing without a lot of pruning to get a feel for its natural pattern. I've only had one or two, and they did not last in my care. I do keep Satsuki alive fairly well, have a couple over a decade in my care. So I do know the deciduous should be treated a little different.

My thought is that the hard pruning should only happen shortly before or just after flowering. When you prune back you will be leaving the tree leafless. You don't want to do this unless the tree is healthy, and not every year. So get it healthy first.

About the circling root, it looks like that root is supporting a good part of the bush. I would put off dealing with it for a couple years. When it is time to repot 2 or 3 years from now, I would apply a wrap of wire about an inch or two above the circling root, on the trunk. Make it moderately tight, to constrict the trunk, but not totally cut off flow of sap. When you repot, use a pot deep enough you can bury the wrapped area at least one to 2 inches. This will work like a slow version of air layering, actually sometimes called ground layering. But instead of peeling the bark and cambium off, you wrapped it with wire. The trunk should bulge above the wire wrap, and eventually sprout a new set of roots. Leave it at least 2 years before repotting. If it has sprouted a bunch of roots above the constricting wire, you can cut off the old root system. IT is not as quick as an air layer, but is has a higher success rate, and lower chance of loosing the entire tree. Air layering is not always 100% successful, this method is a bit safer.

But before anything else, grow it a year or two to try and get it more bushy.
Leo

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. I'm not sure what it is.
Blowing up pic and see irregular leaf margins that suggest an oak variety. Trunk/stems would agree. However no mature buds which might tell the story. Several kinds of semi willow leaf oaks exist;).

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the time of year, you don't have as many leaves as I would expect. Before you do anything get it growing better.
Your post are always great Leo. I'm learning a lot from you and others here. I wanted to pay you back by shipping you some Morels this spring but it wasn't a very bountiful hunting season. (Maybe because I kept looking a tree trunks)
I think the lack of leaves and leggy branches are due to its placement in the greenhouse. Buried in the back surrounded by other misfits. Wasn't getting much light or care.
I rather like the root and plan to keep it for now. Maybe it doesn't quite fit the Bonsai mold but neither do I. I've already cut back some of the leggy branches but left several w/leaves and just watching it for now.
I've added fertilizer to my patience but, but it's a slow grower in me. I keep getting more trees as suggested so I don't love em to death. Up to about 30 now. 5yr old grandson said "PaPaw, do you seriously need more trees?"
Thanks again for your time Leo.
Mark

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Blowing up pic and see irregular leaf margins that suggest an oak variety. Trunk/stems would agree. However no mature buds which might tell the story. Several kinds of semi willow leaf oaks exist;).
I think that is just my bad photography. There are no lobes on the leaves. Straight long ovals. Thin (unlike my Holly) and seem to curl under on edges. This may be due to it's recent violations too I suppose. Thanks

Friend called it Ilex, said evergreen w/no flowers and related to Holly. I have his motorcycle in the shop now so I'll pick his brain further.
Thanks for all the replies!

Edit. After further review and my reading glasses there are some lobes or serrated edges on the ends. Good eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_20160609_091118635_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160609_091118635_HDR.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ilex glabra he said.
While there picked up a cute boxwood and an awesome lil cotoneaster:) so... another couple new projects.

Attachments

• IMG_20160609_204301328.jpg
    IMG_20160609_204301328.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20160609_204231448.jpg
    IMG_20160609_204231448.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ilex - is the genus of Hollies, and all members can be referred to as a 'holly'. Almost all have diecious bloom habit, meaning a bush is either male or female. If your holly never gets berries, its a male. Ilex glabra I believe will have black berries. Some hollies are deciduous, some are evergreen. A few even are tropical or subtropical. North America has at least 10 or so species native, and there are quite a few that were introduced from Europe and Asia. But go with the name Ilex glabra. It is a good species for bonsai. It will also pollinate most of the other deciduous species females, if they flower at the same time. So try to add a female or two to your collection, you won't need to get a male if they flower at the same time as your glabra. Hollies are promiscuous that way. :) Which also make their taxonomy difficult, as there are a lot of natural, and accidental man made hybrids out there.

Your box and cotoneaster both have potential. Good selections.

Do listen to your grandson, or rather keep what your grandson said in mind. As your trees get better, each one will require more time. When you feel you can't keep up, it will be time to stop adding trees. Young pre-bonsai, might need to get pruned once a year and repotted every second or third year. A mature bonsai nearing exhibition quality will need many hours of work, several times a year. If neglected you will either loose the shape, or loose the tree. When your trees get good enough, you should start casting off less developed material so you have time to focus on "the good ones". You are not there yet, but could be within the next 5 years, so keep this in mind. The time demand will change as the tree improves. I lost a few "good ones" because I have too much "stuff", and they got neglected. Just passing the warning on, put the brakes on when you hit 50 or so, or you will loose focus and your trees won't develop as fast or the best material will slip away on you. Everyone has only a certain amount of time, and it varies from person to person. But we all have our limits. Collecting, getting one of each, or a "set" of a type is an obsession, a variation on hording, I got the hording compulsion. So I pass this thought along, as something you should be aware of, if you keep it in mind, you can advance your collection to mature trees more quickly if you skip the decades I went through of having too many sticks in pots and the "good trees" never get the attention they deserve. Just a thought. Now I need to work on my trees, and back away from the keyboard.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The native deciduous Azaleas, and the related mountain Laurels, genus Kalmia, both have that habit of foliage, in tufts at the ends of branches, which is probably why they are only rarely used as bonsai. But they have lovely flowers, and the deciduous are usually fragrant too, which in my book is enough to experiment with trying to make them bonsai. See what you can do. It will be worth the effort, and post your success or failures, so we all can learn. A new challenge for you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wanted to pay you back by shipping you some Morels this spring but it wasn't a very bountiful hunting season. (Maybe because I kept looking a tree trunks)

Lol....

Awesome and....

Soooooo true!

Sorce

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just passing the warning on, put the brakes on when you hit 50 or so, or you will loose focus and your trees won't develop as fast or the best material will slip away on you. Everyone has only a certain amount of time, and it varies from person to person. But we all have our limits.
As always Leo, great info. I'm trying to put on the brakes now. At least down shifting a couple gears as I passed 30 and looking at smaller stuff like those last two. Trying to make plans for over-wintering all this and getting much more selective about what I drag home.
Ilax is looking very happy and perky in his new box.
Azalea is just sitting there looking at me. We'll see. It took months to get my Dwarf Rhodie to pop a few buds.
Boxwood and Cottoneaster both repotted and trimmed. Time will tell...
Oh and I forgot to mention my new Wisteria... Oh my Grandson is right... (downshifting another gear)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
LOL, I've got a wimpy little wisteria too. Couldn't resist. And I picked it up AFTER having given away to a good friend, a wisteria with a trunk larger in diameter than my arm. Because I couldn't find the time to work on it. LOL, it is a sickness. Must have more trees....................

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Their still alive and ugly. Like the Ilex tho.
I hate IMG_20161130_134227516.jpg DSCN5613.JPG this boxwood. Gonna have to get drastic this spring.

Top Bottom