Couple newbie questions about this bonsai I was given...

cooljohn

Seedling
Reaction score
I was given this bonsai and I noticed these white spots on a lot of the leaves. The leaves seem to be getting dark green and drying out. Not sure if the white spots have anything to do with that.

Also, if anyone could identify the kind of tree this is that would be awesome. I have looked and haven't found any matches online.

If anyone has any tips or whatever I would really appreciate it! I'm in South Florida if that helps. Thanks guys, I just want me little tree to be great.

Attachments

• 20151125_234449_HDR.jpg
    20151125_234449_HDR.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20151125_234415_HDR.jpg
    20151125_234415_HDR.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 76

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
cooljohn,

Cool John!

If it's a Fukien Tea, it's nicer than most!

Cool. Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fukien. One of those words that rolls off the tongue.
Like,It's Fukien cold out!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fukien. One of those words that rolls off the tongue.
Like,It's Fukien cold out!

You're Fukien Right!
Unfortunately, the roll off the shelves at roll back prices...:) Too!

Fukien Walmart!

I'm going to eat some Fukien Turkey today!

Take a lot of cuttings from your......

Mother Fukien!

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was given this bonsai and I noticed these white spots on a lot of the leaves. The leaves seem to be getting dark green and drying out. Not sure if the white spots have anything to do with that.Also, if anyone could identify the kind of tree this is that would be awesome. I have looked and haven't found any matches online.If anyone has any tips or whatever I would really appreciate it! I'm in South Florida if that helps. Thanks guys, I just want me little tree to be great.
I think it's a Fukien Tea, oh noes i'm too late :(

cooljohn

Seedling
Reaction score
cooljohn,

Cool John!

If it's a Fukien Tea, it's nicer than most!

Cool. Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Any idea about those white spots? Is that normal? Thanks for the reply.

Edit: I read somewhere those are normal for this plant. Oops.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any idea about those white spots? Is that normal? Thanks for the reply.

They do exhibit those spots.
But I don't know how much, or why, or if too much is bad, etc.

Search Fukien by member @Anthony ,
He has a good knowledge of Fukien that can be converted to healthy trees. I say converted, because we can't do exactly what he does, unless you live in the Caribbean Mon!, but he has posted a lot of good stuff on their natural habitat.

Sorce

cooljohn

Seedling
Reaction score
They do exhibit those spots.
But I don't know how much, or why, or if too much is bad, etc.

Search Fukien by member @Anthony ,
He has a good knowledge of Fukien that can be converted to healthy trees. I say converted, because we can't do exactly what he does, unless you live in the Caribbean Mon!, but he has posted a lot of good stuff on their natural habitat.

Sorce

South Florida has been in the 90s in November so it's close enough I'd guess. I'm definitely gonna check his stuff out. Thanks for the info.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm soooo fukien sexy!

Sorry I wanted to get in on it ....

I like the tree ....

It warming to the eyes...

Good luck with the spots. I pray it's the norm for and all will be ok!

Hey gess what guys I didn't have to take a piss test for my new job! So I can smoke agen woooh!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
South Florida has been in the 90s in November so it's close enough I'd guess. I'm definitely gonna check his stuff out. Thanks for the info.

90's!

They are considered SUB tropical, which means it may want to experience a bit of dormancy.

Usually, it may drop its leaves, and just regrow them and keep going. But a month or so of a dormancy would be "normal".

Most important, keeping it in the same light, they don't like moving, cept for rotating if you have to.

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is a nice little tree.
It has a nice base and good potential.
I would first find out what is under that moss and what kind of soil it's planted in. Give this tree lots of light and keep it warm.
If it is planted in regular potting soil I would change it to a free draining soil mix. You will know when this tree is happy because you will see new growth.
You could change the pot also if you wish.

cooljohn

Seedling
Reaction score
This is a nice little tree.
It has a nice base and good potential.
I would first find out what is under that moss and what kind of soil it's planted in. Give this tree lots of light and keep it warm.
If it is planted in regular potting soil I would change it to a free draining soil mix. You will know when this tree is happy because you will see new growth.
You could change the pot also if you wish.

Thanks. How much and how often would you water it? I also removed the Moss and put some rocks. Gnats are still a problem but plant seems to be growing well.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would remove all the soil and put it in a bonsai soil mix. In that deep pot it may take longer to dry out or dry out unevenly. The bottom may stay wet, longer. So i would pot in a shallower pot. Like 2-3 inches deep. This also allows roots to grow outward instead of down.
You can use a chopstick to test the soil.
Push it in the soil and take it out. Look at it for signs of dampness- or if soil sticks to the chopstick.
If it appears dry then water it.

Also after a time you may get used to the weight of the pot. Wet and dry feels much different.

A fast draining soil will dry out faster.
When you water. Water from the top.
Let the water run out the bottom through the drain holes- really soak it down. Then let it dry.

This is only for bonsai soil though not for potting soil.
This is your first step- bonsai soil and some osmocote mixed in.

http://wigertsbonsai.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68

Watering is just as important as drying and soil choice because the roots need air flow and water and ferts for a healthy tree.
If you get a new pot get one that's like 5 inches by 4 inches by 2 or 3 inches deep. Exact measurements aren't important right now. Make sure it has at least two drain holes. The tree will be unstable at first unless you wire it down. You don't have to do this at first if you feel uncomfortable. If the tree will be inside it will be ok.
If you are planning on keeping this outside then you should wire it in the pot to hold it down.
You will get the hang of it.
Read as much as you can and ask questions here.
There is a lot to learn and this is a nice tree. Good luck

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. How much and how often would you water it? I also removed the Moss and put some rocks. Gnats are still a problem but plant seems to be growing well.

If you can find a couple of these lil centipedes that get about an inch long....you can let them go in the soil and they will cure your gnat problem.

I had em bad and had to use fly paper. But centipedes have worked for me before.

Sorce

cooljohn

Seedling
Reaction score
I would remove all the soil and put it in a bonsai soil mix. In that deep pot it may take longer to dry out or dry out unevenly. The bottom may stay wet, longer. So i would pot in a shallower pot. Like 2-3 inches deep. This also allows roots to grow outward instead of down.
You can use a chopstick to test the soil.
Push it in the soil and take it out. Look at it for signs of dampness- or if soil sticks to the chopstick.
If it appears dry then water it.

Also after a time you may get used to the weight of the pot. Wet and dry feels much different.

A fast draining soil will dry out faster.
When you water. Water from the top.
Let the water run out the bottom through the drain holes- really soak it down. Then let it dry.

This is only for bonsai soil though not for potting soil.
This is your first step- bonsai soil and some osmocote mixed in.

http://wigertsbonsai.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68

Watering is just as important as drying and soil choice because the roots need air flow and water and ferts for a healthy tree.
If you get a new pot get one that's like 5 inches by 4 inches by 2 or 3 inches deep. Exact measurements aren't important right now. Make sure it has at least two drain holes. The tree will be unstable at first unless you wire it down. You don't have to do this at first if you feel uncomfortable. If the tree will be inside it will be ok.
If you are planning on keeping this outside then you should wire it in the pot to hold it down.
You will get the hang of it.
Read as much as you can and ask questions here.
There is a lot to learn and this is a nice tree. Good luck

Thank you for the response. Will get it a new pot soon, maybe they and some new soil will help with the dang gnats. Super helpful stuff!

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for the response. Will get it a new pot soon, maybe they and some new soil will help with the dang gnats. Super helpful stuff!
The gnats are from your soil being too wet for too long. It needs bonsai soil and pot, as others stated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Cooljohn!

I put a couple jumping spiders in my indoor plants when they'd jump out my outdoor stuff in the summer.

I just pulled a ficus to play with and found a jumping spider, still alive and well, so I let him go back!

My Army is strong. And my pests are at a minimum!
This is not a coincidence!

Bug on bug.

Sorce

cooljohn

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Cooljohn!

I put a couple jumping spiders in my indoor plants when they'd jump out my outdoor stuff in the summer.

I just pulled a ficus to play with and found a jumping spider, still alive and well, so I let him go back!

My Army is strong. And my pests are at a minimum!
This is not a coincidence!

Bug on bug.

Sorce

I like your style.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Those fine white spots on the leaves are perfectly normal for the species.

Fukien tea do not want to soil to dry out completely, water when the soil is barely moist. Dig your finger into the mix half an inch to check, the surface may feel dry when it is still saturated below. The gnats are a sign the soil is saturated. Only water when you dig your finger in and it feels barely damp, or if feels dry, you should have watered the day before. Don't water if it feels wet. Note the feel of the weight of the pot. A heavy pot is wet, a light pot is dry. After a few weeks you won't need to use your finger, the weight of the pot will tell you if you need to water. If it stays wet more than 7 days, the potting mix is too water retentive, and should be changed. Most have their bonsai potted in fast draining mixes that need to be watered daily to every 3rd day. But also think about your schedule, then pot so that the plant will stay wet enough to conform to your lifestyle. Young plants are often potted in plastic pots large enough to allow for rapid growth, and the soil mix used might only need watering once a week.

looking at your plant, a shallower & wider pot is what it needs, but don't rush, take the few weeks or month you need to get everything together, rather than rush into repotting and not have the "right" potting mix. Getting the soil mix right is more important than picking the "perfect" pot. You don't need to spend a lot of money on the next pot for this tree. Many useful pots are available for less than $35 that would work well for this tree. Get a good bonsai soil. Be sure to sift your soil, throw out the fines. You can use a piece of window screen if you don't have bonsai sieves. Any particle that goes through window screen is too fine for your bonsai pot. Often packaged bonsai mixes will still have a lot of fines in them, it is not unusual to throw out as much as 25% of the weight of pre-packaged bonsai mixes. The end soil left after eliminating the fines will be superior for growing your tree in a pot over the long term. The media will "breathe" better, get air to the roots, and this will keep the fungus gnats at bay.

Your fukien tea is a nice species to use for bonsai, and yours is a nice start. Good luck.

Top Bottom