Couple of little Ficus

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I picked up two little Ficus on Saturday. I told myself going in that I wasn't going buy any trees, but I ended up finding (2) $15 dollar plants to bring home (& a raffled pot). My dad ended up paying for them as well, hard to pass up that.

The first is a Green Island.

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The second one has got to be from The Lord of The Rings...

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about some sort of monster. Can't believe I didn't see the Ent until you mentioned it. The nebari of a couple of the "trunks" even look a little like feet. I'll get a picture of those tomorrow.

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
the last picture of the green island looks to be the doggy style front.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice buy for $15 ! They are great to work with too, I love Ficus. You need a blowtorch to kill one, and even then it may come back. The Green Island is usually a hard one to find, the Burt Davyi are not that common either but hey, your in Fl. the sunshine state, home of the Ficus. I go there each winter and have always wanted to collect the Florida native Strangler Fig, its a Ficus variety that you see all over the state. They are the little balls of green you see way up high in nearly all the trees down there, very noticeable on the deciduos trees when they go bare, you have to look for them on the evergreens but they are usually present. They are spread by birds eating the figs and passing them seeds from them while setting in a tree. They can overpower a tree and grow roots to the ground and kill it by choking off the light. I would think they would make a lovely Bonsai, as all Ficus do. The only problem is that they are usually about 25 to 50 feet up in the air!

Good luck with the great buys you made on these nice trees, keep em green. By the way, where did you buy them?

ed

Last edited:

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks, Ed. I already have a bunch of Ficus. I'll be posting pics of more of my bigger ones soon.

I got them at Durastone, Jim Smith's nursery in Vero. He has a few hundred more if you're interested. rows and rows of prebonsai, even some strangler fig trunks in pots. There was a big "gathering" there last weekend. a great day of bonsai. Guy Guidri carved up a big cypress with a chain saw. lots of other demos, good stuff.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
So, I repotted the ent soon after the last post. He also had a haircut, which has grown back more compact with smaller leaves. I added some moss and hobbits a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to photos today.

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

I'm probably going to take out the middle "leg" soon. I just want to make sure the other 2 are established well enough to support the whole "tree".

Last edited:

Ariadne

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Great job! Looks stunning, and will be even more so with the middle trunk out. But, scary prospect removing it, eh? Please keep us posted. I'm new here, but already feel I'm learning a lot. Have you done anything with the Green Island yet?

So, I repotted the ent soon after the last post. He also had a haircut, which has grown back more compact with smaller leaves. I added some moss and hobbits a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to photos today.

I'm probably going to take out the middle "leg" soon. I just want to make sure the other 2 are established well enough to support the whole "tree".

Last edited:

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Ariadne. Right after I took the photos of the green island my backdrop blew over and landed on it, snapping a relatively big branch. I superglued it and wrapped some wire around it. It seems to have survived, but I haven't done any work on it while it recovers.

Stacy, I just checked - definitely still green under there. I think I'll wait a little longer. Thanks for looking for more! That's awesome. A "March of the Ents" group planting maybe...

Top Bottom