Couple of my projects.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Figured I would post these for your comments suggestions. Don't worry I will wait for a reply before I start whackin. First is bristlecone aristata. Second up hinoki cypress nana gracilis.IIMG_20130802_194707_963.jpgIMG_20130802_194424_880.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
These are 2 very nice trees. For the pine, maybe come this Fall or next Spring, shorten some of the branches at the top. Also, cut off the top part. Then, wire everything.

For the Hinoki, maybe wait until next spring to work on it. For now, you could slip pot it into a deeper pot so you can keep the surface roots covered. If not, maybe add some sphagnum moss on the top. Either way, those surface roots should be protected.

Both trees have a lot of potential. However, both species require very specific pruning techniques. Improper pruning can kill sections of both these species quite easily.

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Both of these trees are keepers. However the Bristlecone Pine could be trouble. Make sure that who ever gives you advise on that tree or however's advise you are considering taking has one or more themselves and not just read this book or that book and is repeating back what they have read. I know of no one, off the top of my head, that has had good luck with this tree, it seems to not like bonsai culture too much.

The Hinoki---that's a great Hinoki. The only real concern you should have at this point is when it was last repotted. You should not disturb the roots more than once every three years.

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Agreed with the two above, the hinoki is a nice find but slip potting to cover those roots is important. You can leave it in a nursery can for a few years while developing it.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. We had a torrential rain the day I took the pictures and I had to replace soil on a few trees. But yeah I know I got a couple toughies but the rewards for being patient and doing my homework on these trees will be worth it. I'm looking at years for both especially the bristlecone. Not much info out there on them but maybe I will have to write the book on them. Any help on this tree will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Mike.Frary.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
I really want to get a great basin bristlecone and grow it on my roof in full open and see if I can get some of those great natural shapes because of the constant wind. I think it can be done.

Top Bottom