Couple of ugly ducklings

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
American elm from @Stickroot finally got the chop this year and a new pot finally I carved away all the dead wood ,took a handful of root cuttings from the left side a few didn't make it but I'll post some pictures later , and a poor little shohin yatsubusa black pine with a burl. Half are rooted last season , will do the other half next spring and she'll get a new pot Just some projects I'm going to keep up with . May continue to add some other little ugly ducklings later.

IMG_1161.JPG IMG_1157.JPG

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes that's what I was thinking as well when I chopped it where I did ,just being cautious I suppose , Never touched an American until I got this one from him couple years ago maybe ?. Thanks for helping me make the decision final, quit being an ole bitch! She'll get another whack next year . It was in dire need of repotting and got put off last year , so at least it's got that going for it , just let it grow the rest of this season ,get good and healthy then have another go ! Thanks @sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That was the first styling the little pines ever had, believe I did it last fall . I just let it grow all last year naturally produces small needles , I've read that people don't usually decandle them because of their needle size and ability to back bud well , does anyone have any experience with this particular variety ? I broke a couple of extra long candles this spring and they popped a few more buds , does anyone completely decandle these ?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For the JBP, is the cultivar name 'Yatsubusa' ? or is it one of the several other varieties considered to have yatsubusa traits. I have a couple cork bark varieties that are considered yatsubusa types, and I have a 'Kotobuki' which is a short needle, regular bark, yatsubusa type.

I'm in zone 5b, too cold to reliably winter JBP in the ground, and I'm learning that quirks of of living quite close to Lake Michigan make my growing season a bit too short for "typical" growth one would expect from JBP. My Spring weather tends to be quite cool, thru April and most of May, so my JBP don't wake up from dormancy until a week or two into June.

As a result of my climate quirks, I can't offer much advice.

Top Bottom