Courageous cut

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Hi all

Just bought a nice little stock cherry tree and want to thicken the trunk this season to make a nice little Bonsai so wondered if I could get a few little pointers of where to make the cuts
3B0957AA-4F0C-4C43-A747-4FE6DC383A31.jpeg3B0957AA-4F0C-4C43-A747-4FE6DC383A31.jpegI think this will be the front and the left hand branch the main trunk leader ....

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
And then cut off the left branch.
It will give you a direction change and taper.
Hi Mike thanks for the feedback.

I’m obviously new but I thought that you need to cut off top growth to thicken trunks? so that energy is not wasted on the top of the tree but is used to enlarge roots and the trunk?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I’m obviously new but I thought that you need to cut off top growth to thicken trunks? so that energy is not wasted on the top of the tree but is used to enlarge roots and the trunk?
To thicken a trunk the plant needs to grow freely. Top growth fuels root growth,root growth promotes top growth.
You could put it in a large bucket for a couple years to fatten up some. They fatten up in a bucket faster than in the ground the first couple years then slow down because the roots don't have anywhere to go. It takes a couple years to acclimate in the ground but once that happens trees grow the fastest.
I suggested cutting it so while it's growing out it has time to heal the scar.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Once you cut that energy off it can be used anywhere....it is cut off.

There is a phenomenon where you get so enthralled with these tiny trees you literally forget basic facts we learned about how trees grow in elementary school!

Time to Google "how trees grow"..
Seems silly but we all been there.

It reminds us we are using REGULAR OLD TREES...and they grow exactly the same way in a pot, only a bit slower.

There is No magic, only Nature.

The best place to make those cuts is in the future!

Nice!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Since your new to bonsai...assuming that. Why not share all four sides...sometimes we can't see something better that is hidden to our naked eyes. So we see the potential in all sides. Before chopping.

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Since your new to bonsai...assuming that. Why not share all four sides...sometimes we can't see something better that is hidden to our naked eyes. So we see the potential in all sides. Before chopping.
Sure that’s a cool idea I’ll get on it :)

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
To thicken a trunk the plant needs to grow freely. Top growth fuels root growth,root growth promotes top growth.
You could put it in a large bucket for a couple years to fatten up some. They fatten up in a bucket faster than in the ground the first couple years then slow down because the roots don't have anywhere to go. It takes a couple years to acclimate in the ground but once that happens trees grow the fastest.
I suggested cutting it so while it's growing out it has time to heal the scar.
That’s really helpful thanks Mike ... I’ll repot into a tub and take it from there

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Here’s the view for all sides ... 9595D75C-ADE1-40B3-B46F-D5EA7FC2FD08.jpeg

Attachments

• 1B895DD4-7CCC-4E79-93A9-E49B1DAD87B0.jpeg
    1B895DD4-7CCC-4E79-93A9-E49B1DAD87B0.jpeg
    412.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 74AB83B4-2A7A-43C2-83B9-9FBDD26FDBD4.jpeg
    74AB83B4-2A7A-43C2-83B9-9FBDD26FDBD4.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 518A9E96-1F3A-4856-8A59-2F1BB863308C.jpeg
    518A9E96-1F3A-4856-8A59-2F1BB863308C.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 10
  • CF454F95-9610-4E9F-A85A-1026F690EE4B.jpeg
    CF454F95-9610-4E9F-A85A-1026F690EE4B.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 06185B88-F142-4F62-9CEA-A30EF130F692.jpeg
    06185B88-F142-4F62-9CEA-A30EF130F692.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 12

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This photo is concerning....while the opposite side looks fused...
This seems a seam...

2018-04-15-08-36-59.jpg

Where digging down will prove the best future for This...as always of course....Base first.

Since you won't cut any tool off this year...ahem!...

I think you're ok to have a dig down to the flare.

If these are separate...cutting that left trunk may ruin a lot of possibilities...

That side may be an individual tree... And maybe then the skiiny side can be used as a literati of sorts....

Dig . More pics! Too much unknown still!

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Brush some of the surface substrate away at that base and get some pictures of that trunk as @sorce suggested. Could be other options to consider.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It seem quite straight down there ....

Cool and being what it is I suspect that green algae type growth is because it was hot house grown. As is that will disappear if you put it in full sun this year with good air movement. Myself I would paint it with a weak Sulfur solution to speed up the process :)

I am growing out a twin trunk as I type, was supposed to be a Peach tree but oh well :p The Cherry is more commonly used in Bonsai but I just wanted some damn juicy fresh Peaches :p

Grimmy

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Cool and being what it is I suspect that green algae type growth is because it was hot house grown. As is that will disappear if you put it in full sun this year with good air movement. Myself I would paint it with a weak Sulfur solution to speed up the process :)

I am growing out a twin trunk as I type, was supposed to be a Peach tree but oh well :p The Cherry is more commonly used in Bonsai but I just wanted some damn juicy fresh Peaches :p

Grimmy
That’s cool Grimmy I’ll knock up a weak solution and give it a try.
My next project is a pomegranate but they seem hard to get over here

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That’s cool Grimmy I’ll knock up a weak solution and give it a try. My next project is a pomegranate but they seem hard to get over here

Location - Fruits where I am at Zone 6 -7 grow great, if a pitted fruit like Apple, Crabapple, Peach, Cherry, Quince, Apricot, and even Pear. Pomegranate here requires a LOT more inside time in a plant room like Banana and Citrus. I am not certain what your grow conditions are and indoor/outdoor growing options are but I would suspect Pomegranate would be difficult there so it is not offered making it uncommon. :)

Grimmy

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Location - Fruits where I am at Zone 6 -7 grow great, if a pitted fruit like Apple, Crabapple, Peach, Cherry, Quince, Apricot, and even Pear. Pomegranate here requires a LOT more inside time in a plant room like Banana and Citrus. I am not certain what your grow conditions are and indoor/outdoor growing options are but I would suspect Pomegranate would be difficult there so it is not offered making it uncommon. :)

Grimmy
Yep I guess so ... but the search continues ;)

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
This photo is concerning....while the opposite side looks fused...
This seems a seam...

View attachment 187057

Where digging down will prove the best future for This...as always of course....Base first.

Since you won't cut any tool off this year...ahem!...

I think you're ok to have a dig down to the flare.

If these are separate...cutting that left trunk may ruin a lot of possibilities...

That side may be an individual tree... And maybe then the skiiny side can be used as a literati of sorts....

Dig . More pics! Too much unknown still!

Sorce
Yes scrape the too layer of dirt off until you notice the base buttressing and harder roots. I bet you will be surprised. I'm thinking 2 inches down is where the true base will be

Danielm

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gmt
Interesting Drew I shall revisit the roots this evening and post an update :cool:

Top Bottom