Coyote Howling at Moon Sumie Kakejiku

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Coyote Howling at Moon Sumie_Mariusz Smertz blog.jpgThis painting was done by the very talented Polish Artist Mariusz Szmerdt. I requested him to complete some American themed paintings because several bonsai artists had written or spoken to me about not being able to understand the intricacies of Japanese displays, and a desire to have pieces that provide American themes to display with trees.

I know that the moon should be a singular piece for a Japanese display, but think outside the box and put a native American tree in to display with the scroll and I think most American bonsai artists could create a display with strong sentimental resonance....

In designing this scroll, I thought it would be best to keep it very simple. The Fukuro Hyougu style fit this bill. The tan/dust color of the cloth was used to represent the desert sands of the southwest. I used the grey suji (Suji are the thin strips of cloth) and Nezumi (Mouse Colored) Kakehimo to be complementary to the clouds in the picture. The Dark Blue Jikusaki are ceramic and were used to represent the dark night time sky.

I was really pleased with how the scroll turned out, except for a small section of the suji in the Ten section. Dimensions are as follows:

Name in Kanji Name in English Size in Bun Size in Inches
天 Ten 80 9.54
筋 Suji 1 0.12
天 Partition Bottom 35 4.18
紙本の幅さ Artwork Width 118 14.08
紙本の長さ Artwork Length 227 27.08
柱 Pillars 19 2.27
地 Chi First Partition 30 3.58
筋 Suji 2 0.24
地 Middle Partition 11 1.31
地 Bottom Partition 57 6.80
掛け軸の幅さ Scroll Width 156 18.61
掛け軸の長さ Scroll Length 443 52.85

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I saw this scroll at the show and I found it much nicer than the photo suggests. I am not sure I would use it for bonsai display because for me (personally) it is a little too literal and might be distracting. However the painting was much nicer than this image shows. If you are having trouble resizing your pictures you can email them to me and I will help out. Maybe another shot of the scroll with a closeup of the quality of the coyote painting?

Top Bottom