Crêpe myrtle mending split Limbs?

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
We all have done it !
Bending a Limb until you get a oh SHIT response !
What are the best ways other than removal to mend a split lamb?
What are your experiences and Techne ?IMG_2497.JPG

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Not with crepes but with other trees I've tried to mend but they usually heal with too weak a connection and I usually end up cutting the branch off.
Ian

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Like in your pic - the wire will support and stabilize the two sides of the break. After the 'SNAP' just wrap the break with a water barrier to keep the cambium moist. I prefer to use parafilm because I have it handy for other reasons. My next choices are self-amalgamating silicone tape (though I usually wrap first when I think this might happen - this stuff is made for radiator hose repair), but just about anything will do (electrical tape like I see in the pic) because it only takes about 10-15 days for the cambium to regrow a protective epiderm (beginnings of bark). After that, the break just needs to be kept stable. Sometimes these accidents can develop into being very interesting features.

You're only SOL if you snap an unwired branch.

Bonsailane

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the info ,,
Some of my friends use superglue and electrical tape but I guess only time will tail

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the info ,,
Some of my friends use superglue and electrical tape but I guess only time will tail
I was reading about using superglue just the other day. The thick kind might be just the thing as it would also mechanically stabilize the crack - a little first aid kit in a for bonsai and bansai-ists! Gotta get some and give it a try (on a cracked branch - already rely on it for finger cuts).

Thanks for that.

Top Bottom