Crêpe myrtle three trunks and removal of

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello everyone,

I am growing a Crêpemyrtle and as It came from the nursery it has three separate trunks. I am trying to find out which one I want to work with for a nice taper in the future and need to grow the base.

My question is not in regards to which one is the best out of the three options. My question is has anyone cleaned up the rootsand actually cut out two of the trucks and only kept one? Anything I can learn from anyone’s experience? Is it a separation or a “chop” down.

Attachments

• D2BA64AF-6032-4DE7-96E4-CA86BE2E1C48.jpeg
    D2BA64AF-6032-4DE7-96E4-CA86BE2E1C48.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 50
  • D53107F0-BA4B-4596-8869-63C9939289DB.jpeg
    D53107F0-BA4B-4596-8869-63C9939289DB.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 605AE2A7-1284-4E10-B608-C8CFD620DDE2.jpeg
    605AE2A7-1284-4E10-B608-C8CFD620DDE2.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 50

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have found that a lot of times nursery crepe myrtles are separate trees put together with the intent of them eventually fusing into a multi trunk clump like you tend to see with mature specimens in the landscape. You should be able to separate them in the spring. They can take fairly drastic root reductions as well. They also air layering fairly readily so there’s always that option.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have found that a lot of times nursery crepe myrtles are separate trees put together with the intent of them eventually fusing into a multi trunk clump like you tend to see with mature specimens in the landscape. You should be able to separate them in the spring. They can take fairly drastic root reductions as well. They also air layering fairly readily so there’s always that option.
I would say that the cm shown is definitely two plants in one pot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I picked up a couple of CMs while home for the holiday, from a cousin that owns a CM specific nursery. If he said, “you can’t kill them”, once, he said it 20 times. I sure hope he’s right. I have root-pruned some small ones and planted in the ground, and trunk chopped another, leaving it in its nursery can.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had the same situation with an Encore azalea that seemed to be one buried deep, but ended up being 2 separate trees. You could repot in January and separate them, placing them where it would be most beneficial for the design. I thin you would be ok chopping them at the same time, but you will not know where exactly until you report them. I would give them a year to recuperate and just do a hard prune after post flush hardening to increase your options.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had the same situation with an Encore azalea that seemed to be one buried deep, but ended up being 2 separate trees. You could repot in January and separate them, placing them where it would be most beneficial for the design. I thin you would be ok chopping them at the same time, but you will not know where exactly until you report them. I would give them a year to recuperate and just do a hard prune after post flush hardening to increase your options.
Thank you!

Top Bottom