Crab Apple air layers

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I have a landscape crabapple that I needed to prune back for aesthetic reasons, and instead of just chopping off the offending limbs, I thought that I would apply some air layers...like about a half dozen. This was during an unusual February/March warm spell.

A few days ago I figured that I've given them enough time and unwrapped a couple.

This first one I tried to make the air layer close to the trunk, where the base of the branch flared.
View attachment 113428
While it rooted nicely, unfortunately, the all those roots emanated from an area above the flare. But I do have those little nubbins that will turn into roots. I planted this in the ground until the spring of 2018.

One lesson that I keep forgetting is to shred the sphagnum moss when I'm not using NAPA 8022, which I did on a larger, upright limb.

This second one had lots of roots, but as it has more bonsai potential , so I didn't want to harvest it just yet. Before (backside view), and now.
View attachment 113432

View attachment 113429
The roots followed the "shrink wrap" that I used to enclose the sphagnum moss, all the way around the adjoining trunk. I peeled the roots loose and cut a pot to fit the crotch and added sphagnum moss to the pot and top and wrapped it all up again.
View attachment 113431

I'll probably harvest this air layer after the leaves drop and also put it in the ground.

One lesson that I keep forgetting is to shred the sphagnum moss when I'm not using NAPA 8022, which I did on a larger, upright limb.

There are still a lot of layers to harvest. I believe that I could open a bonsai starter business if I had a few more crabs :). Very easy air layering.
CW

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd say there is a lesson to make the girdle far enough away from a crotch to allow you room to saw off the layer when it is ready.

Why is shredding the sphagnum so important to you? I've never bothered; I just pot the roots and sphagnum intact and clean it out the following spring (I also trim off the stub below the top of the girdle then). Are you into the 'sphagnum is death' mysticism?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mysticism

It isn't mysticism for me.

Granted, it is likely due to my lack of winter protection, and them being wet all winter......

But it is very real.

Sorce

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd say there is a lesson to make the girdle far enough away from a crotch to allow you room to saw off the layer when it is ready.
Yes, that is easier, but I wanted to harvest the flare where it attaches to the trunk. Sort of an experiment.

Are you into the 'sphagnum is death' mysticism?
No, it's just a pain to remove it from the roots when it is long. Though as I planted it in the ground it doesn't matter, and might not hurt anything even if I potted it.
CW

Top Bottom