Crab apple issue with leaves

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi all I've noticed that my crab apple has an issue with the leaves it almost seems like the top side of the leaf is separating from the bottom part of the leaf and casing the top side to con taught up and the bottom stays very tight almost like it is not growing with the top side of the leaf and it cracks if you touch it I have sprayed with fungus fighter and rose clear ultra.
Any suggestions on what it could be.
20200501_152227.jpg20200501_152239.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have seen cases like these, they usually were either viral infections caused by aphids or weird growth patterns caused by a disbalance in flowering hormones.
The viral cases usually disappear after a year with little to no damage.
The weird growing pattern could be hard coded, but also caused by drought, or intense heat.

If it happens again next year, you can be worried. For now I wouldn't worry about it, there's probably nothing you can do about it.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
I have seen cases like these, they usually were either viral infections caused by aphids or weird growth patterns caused by a disbalance in flowering hormones.
The viral cases usually disappear after a year with little to no damage.
The weird growing pattern could be hard coded, but also caused by drought, or intense heat.

If it happens again next year, you can be worried. For now I wouldn't worry about it, there's probably nothing you can do about it.
Hi thanks for the response.
Interesting that.
Just a thought though if it were hard coded would it not have shown in previous years I mean in the 4 years of having the tree I have not seen evidence of this before .

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Has the appearance of thrips or some leaf miner. I don't know what Rose clear is, but I don't think this is a fungus, so if Rose clear isn't an insecticide, I would spray with insecticidal soap. And if you want to keep the health of the tree, you should take off many if not all of the fruit. It has so much fruit the energy will be spent on that and the health will suffer even more.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Has the appearance of thrips or some leaf miner. I don't know what Rose clear is, but I don't think this is a fungus, so if Rose clear isn't an insecticide, I would spray with insecticidal soap. And if you want to keep the health of the tree, you should take off many if not all of the fruit. It has so much fruit the energy will be spent on that and the health will suffer even more.
Yeah rose clear is a combination of fungicide and pesticides I sprayed that 2 weeks ago then I sprayed it with a designated fungicide 6 days ago and I have sprayed it with bug clear ultra today its basically the strongest pesticide we can access in the uk
I have ordered another pesticide and fungicide today both different chemicals to what I have so can use them soon too

It's a good idea with the fruit too and I haven't been fertilizing yet either so that will help strengthen it too

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The problem with spraying for whatever this is is that spraying requires contact with the insect to kill it. The insect is INSIDE the leaf--the spray can't get to it effectively.

Systemic insecticide is probably the answer. sprinkle the granules on the soil surface, the plant takes up the poison and the insect eats it. Insect dies...

Something like this:

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are insecticides specifically formulated to be absorbed by the leaf and eradicate the pest. But usually only available by contacts in the landscape trade and in bulk.....so good luck.

Systemic, as mentioned, might be a more efficacious solution?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
.....cool fingers, isn't it weird to look at 'em from this perspective?

yeah it's Friday, CHEERS MATE!! 🥴 🤮 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁

Top Bottom