Crab apple-Malus

Here's a progression of my crab apple since jan 2014.. the tree had some inverse taper to start with and its gone through some radical changes, in pictures:

The back of the tree which featured the drastic carving job became the front:

This is the tree today:

I think its now leaning towards a 'fairy tale' bonsai style, it reminds me of a tree more fitting of a fairy tale book. the twisty branches is in fitting with the twisty trunk and the hollowed area add some interest...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
USDA Zone
While I fully appreciate the "fairy tale style", this says righteous old crab to me!

Another brief look into some more fantastic WORK!

Americans will figure it out soon enough!
Or maybe not!

Cheers!

I hope you don't miss my shout to you in the 187 nana post!

Sorce

While I fully appreciate the "fairy tale style", this says righteous old crab to me!

Another brief look into some more fantastic WORK!

Americans will figure it out soon enough!
Or maybe not!

Cheers!

I hope you don't miss my shout to you in the 187 nana post!

Sorce
Cheers Source, too kind mate. its still needs work though, going to try defoliation techniques next season for smaller leaf size n ramification.
btw i was in the states in apr, my paps has been living in florida for the past 16 years, so many pine trees in melbourne, florida;)

USDA Zone
Oh no!! I am so sorry to hear that. That is sad. My condolences. Yes, part of the learning curve and a useful warning to the rest of us to be careful. Thank you for the information.

USDA Zone
8A
im not pic shy, so if you see a thread which hasnt been updated in ages, the tree is sold or dead!😉

think i went too deep on the hollowing and restricted sap flow. part of the learning curve🧐

Sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to seeing how it had progressed.