Crab apple-Malus

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here's a progression of my crab apple since jan 2014.. the tree had some inverse taper to start with and its gone through some radical changes, in pictures:

12151691094_e04bf1d156_c.jpg

12326541933_6fbb40dee4_c.jpg

IMAG2034.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

crabby1.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

The back of the tree which featured the drastic carving job became the front:
IMG_5892.jpg

IMG_6862.jpg

This is the tree today:
IMG_7770.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7771.jpg

I think its now leaning towards a 'fairy tale' bonsai style, it reminds me of a tree more fitting of a fairy tale book. the twisty branches is in fitting with the twisty trunk and the hollowed area add some interest...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While I fully appreciate the "fairy tale style", this says righteous old crab to me!

Another brief look into some more fantastic WORK!

Americans will figure it out soon enough!
Or maybe not!

Cheers!

I hope you don't miss my shout to you in the 187 nana post!

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
While I fully appreciate the "fairy tale style", this says righteous old crab to me!

Another brief look into some more fantastic WORK!

Americans will figure it out soon enough!
Or maybe not!

Cheers!

I hope you don't miss my shout to you in the 187 nana post!

Sorce
Cheers Source, too kind mate. its still needs work though, going to try defoliation techniques next season for smaller leaf size n ramification.
btw i was in the states in apr, my paps has been living in florida for the past 16 years, so many pine trees in melbourne, florida;)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cheers Grimmy, nope this is a nursery bought tree, they are readily available in the nurseries here in the UK, there are some really huge chunky specimens in abundance, kaizen bonsai just got a load of new ones, i got this particular tree here: http://www.windybankbonsai.co.uk/

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Any updates on this one for us this spring?

im not pic shy, so if you see a thread which hasnt been updated in ages, the tree is sold or dead!?

think i went too deep on the hollowing and restricted sap flow. part of the learning curve?

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh no!! I am so sorry to hear that. That is sad. My condolences. Yes, part of the learning curve and a useful warning to the rest of us to be careful. Thank you for the information.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
im not pic shy, so if you see a thread which hasnt been updated in ages, the tree is sold or dead!?

think i went too deep on the hollowing and restricted sap flow. part of the learning curve?

Sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to seeing how it had progressed.

Top Bottom