Crab Apple thread graft?

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have searched and searched but can’t find any info on this so I guess I’ll just go ahead and expose my ignorance. :oops: I have a very nice flowering crab apple that I have in the ground to develop the base. It has no low branches but does have 4 very healthy suckers growing. My question is, can you thread graft the suckers to start some branches close to the base? I would like to chop the tree in 2020 so they would have time to take.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Absolutely. Most good eating apples are grown on crabapple stock. They are malleable like a Japanese maple and will graft very easily. I have much better success at approach grafting.

But it's very doable!!

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Absolutely. Most good eating apples are grown on crabapple stock. They are malleable like a Japanese maple and will graft very easily. I have much better success at approach grafting.

But it's very doable!!

Approach grafting it is. What time of the year would be optimal? Zone 7a

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Approach grafting it is. What time of the year would be optimal? Zone 7a
I have no idea about your zones there, hell I still have maples budding in November! Let's just say Spring is always optimal, but you can time it for best weather by a few weeks. The juices will be flowing before the tree shows it.

60 degrees all day is optimal time.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score

But it's very doable!!

If he's grafting a sucker from the base this might be below the union (if it's grafted) so therefore he might not have a crabapple any more? If @Silentrunning is OK with that then all well and good.

FWIW Crabapples backbud profusely post chop - even if there are no visible buds - they are basically flowering elms. Here's one I thread grafted a back branch onto this past season - it curves from the right hand bottom branch to the back of the apex. I did it before bud swell so I could pass the branch through without taking off the buds.42021754135_400d699fd7_k.jpg. It looks to have taken but I'm leaving it on til I see a more noticeable difference between the entry and exit branches in terms of width. I chopped this tree initially and regrew the whole 'twisty' half of the trunk. Personally I'd chop and regrow from there - making sure it's 3 r 4 inches above the union. Do you know if your tree is grafted @Silentrunning ? A pic might help.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When you eventually chop the tree you should get a explosion of branches if the tree is healthy

Top Bottom