Crab Apple Thread

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A thread where we can share our trees, ideas, experiences, techniques, soils.....flowers.....fruit"........"link" to your own specific crabby thread.
So here goes........
First up.....Malus Fusca (Pacific Crabapple or Oregon Crabapple)... All three are yamadori whimps.....but I'll learn on these (as I know where the bigger ones are).....all three where found in wetlands where the Elk herds visit often.....this crabby is found within the temperate coniferous forests.....from Alaska to NW California at lower elevations. Flowers are white to pale pink and the fruit is small, red and round.
Right after collection these three went into each container with a mixture of my bonsai soil with lots of shredded sphagnum moss.........in winter they harden and are very stiff, so now with active growth they are more flexible so I wire them up or use guy lines to shape them, being careful not to twist off the outer bark.
First one is a raft style which may get reduced to a clump.
Second one..".whimpy" the whimp....and out of focus ...
Third one.....hoping for flowers next spring.
Cheers
Graham

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 307
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 313
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 323

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Whimpy, whimps, whips........know all about the rules.."I call them guidelines"....look at penjing and you'll see that the Chinese dont always follow the 6/1 ratio.......need to get them very healthy before any major chops...
G.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My malus "golden hornet"
Bought it in winter 2016 for 7€

Winter 2016:
Screenshot_20171001-205339.png

Spring 2017 after repot
Screenshot_20171001-205457.png
Planted it slanting becase that way the roots were placed more horizontal to grow out!
the roots are a decent start for future good nebari nice flaired around the trunk but need some growing.

Screenshot_20171001-205514.png
Flowers :D

Screenshot_20171001-205543.png
It grew ok but not realy strong due to a fungus/sunburn issue
I am not realy sure on what to do with it in the way of styling it could probably be best chopped somewere low and get planted into the ground for a couple years tough

Screenshot_20171001-205533.png
Great way to propagate crab apples is by taking root cuttings this one i took at repot grew well its in this high pot to train it into a neagari style :D

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I already see white roots at the drainage holes at the botom of the pot :D

They grow like weeds here, fun to see for certain :) Do they have enough dormant time in 8b? Curious is all and with all the types I am certain they could.

Grimmy

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They grow like weeds here, fun to see for certain :) Do they have enough dormant time in 8b? Curious is all and with all the types I am certain they could.

Grimmy

I think they got plenty of dormant time yes the leaves are falling off now and wont come back untill march/april
Well the leaves are falling

Top Bottom