Crab Apple Thread

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any Crabbies here recognize this symptom? This has been getting worse for about a week. I removed the affected leaves, isolated the plant on the other side of the yard, and bleach-wiped my tools. Treated with Bayer systemic.IMG_20180708_164042033.jpg

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Pruned for the third time one month ago. New growth looks good :) Need to remember to cut back more drastically next spring! Good thing is that there are plenty of dormant buds in the canopy :)

IMG_20180804_111713.jpg

@John in Toledo As you can see, I had the same rusty color on the older leaves. It became worse with high humidity, so I thought it was apple rust. Going to spray with fungicide in winter!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is it still time to do a major chop or airlayer on crab apple this late in the season?

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is there a preferred Crabtree cultivar?
I know it could depend on what I’m going after, flowers, fruit, ramification, zone, etc. But I just learned that a couple junipers had better foliage than others (by far it sounds like) and this knowledge seemed well known to those who work junipers.

I just started looking into crabs and was just wondering what the top kinds are, if there are any. I tried searching but my net seems to be to wide or I don’t know how to ask the right questions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is there a preferred Crabtree cultivar?
I know it could depend on what I’m going after, flowers, fruit, ramification, zone, etc. But I just learned that a couple junipers had better foliage than others (by far it sounds like) and this knowledge seemed well known to those who work junipers.

I just started looking into crabs and was just wondering what the top kinds are, if there are any. I tried searching but my net seems to be to wide or I don’t know how to ask the right questions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The only/best reference I've seen is at Evergreen Gardenworks.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldn't do either this late.

I have a crabapple that's been in trunk/root development for roughly 10 years that needs a severe trunk chop - like taking it down to 4" above soil level and rebuilding. Good nebari is nearly done, I won't need to work the roots hard this year.

When would you think is the best time of year for this kind of operation? After flowering? As leaf buds push? After full leaf out?

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Prepping seedlings for a solid future. Pics from last spring. I'm excited to start removing some of the surface soil to expose some of those roots!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191205-115057.png
    Screenshot_20191205-115057.png
    403 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20191205-115122.png
    Screenshot_20191205-115122.png
    246.2 KB · Views: 65

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@TyroTinker
Read through the list on Evergreen Gardenwork's website. The best cultivars are the ones that include notes about being disease resistant. I assume in the PNW you will have trouble with powdery mildew or downy mildew and leaf spotting diseases. Pick a cultivar known to be disease resistant. Brent has nice notes about each cultivar.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@TyroTinker
Read through the list on Evergreen Gardenwork's website. The best cultivars are the ones that include notes about being disease resistant. I assume in the PNW you will have trouble with powdery mildew or downy mildew and leaf spotting diseases. Pick a cultivar known to be disease resistant. Brent has nice notes about each cultivar.
Thank you. Brent’s wonderful descriptions were mentioned earlier and I read through them already. I wasn’t sure what to pick between the one that is more twiggy or the one that was a popular choice, but I didn’t even consider disease resistance! Thank you for that insight, I will read it all again and base my choice off of that.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any Crabbies here recognize this symptom? This has been getting worse for about a week. I removed the affected leaves, isolated the plant on the other side of the yard, and bleach-wiped my tools. Treated with Bayer systemic.View attachment 200143
No idea what it is, but something like that killed damn near all of my apple trees. It infected pretty much all of them at once, too, which made me think it was either in the soil or coming from a nearby stand of crabs. I'm rather salty about that; it took out four nursery trees, several fruiting trees (those weren't for bonsai), and dozens of seedlings.

Going by what the internet said (especially with how whole branches would die off at once), possibly fire blight.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
The photos on the original post from John in Toledo were from July 2018 and looked a lot like sunburn/ scorch maybe caused by a hot spell of weather?
It would be good to hear if it worsened or did the tree recover ?
Fireblight is a bacterial disease which has symptoms different looking to the photos and can infect Malus, Cotoneaster ,Photinia, Pyracantha and other members of Rosacae family

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree.

Take a look at the top of the tree, on the right of your carving: I think the branche there is perhaps too curvy and by repositioning it a little, you can fill the middle part of the canopy a bit more? Just a thought.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice tree.

Take a look at the top of the tree, on the right of your carving: I think the branche there is perhaps too curvy and by repositioning it a little, you can fill the middle part of the canopy a bit more? Just a thought.
Two near snaps on that one so it had to stay there 😋

Top Bottom