Crab waking up

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first and only crabapple appears to be waking up earlier than I expected. I’m guessing I should repot relatively soon.
7C37BF61-D797-4FA7-B935-F8919771CEEF.jpegA7A72379-4D8E-4DEF-B90D-F164337A2F20.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My first and only crabapple appears to be waking up earlier than I expected. I’m guessing I should repot relatively soon.
View attachment 280516View attachment 280517
You're in OHIO too. WOW! Crazy...yeah, I reckon if that's your intentions for it this year. But you will have to watch it doesn't freeze. Good luck to you my friend. But at this point...With buds opening. Your going to have to no matter what.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're in OHIO too. WOW! Crazy...yeah, I reckon if that's your intentions for it this year. But you will have to watch it doesn't freeze. Good luck to you my friend. But at this point...With buds opening. Your going to have to no matter what.
Yeah this thing is been sitting outside unprotected. Even through what brief freezing we have had. I have a small greenhouse that maintains around 35 to 38° I’ll put it in after I repot it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
appears to be waking up

Might not be. 🤞

If it is, it sure is too early, which isn't good, so skipping repotting is safer.

Why repotting anyway?

It doesn't sound like the right reasons.

Sorce

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah this thing is been sitting outside unprotected. Even through what brief freezing we have had. I have a small greenhouse that maintains around 35 to 38° I’ll put it in after I repot it.
Mines been kept under our sunroom unprotected on the N side of the house, so no light really.
Do you think that could be keeping it from doing the same?

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mines been kept under our sunroom unprotected on the N side of the house, so no light really.
Do you think that could be keeping it from doing the same?
When I said unprotected I just meant not inside or mulched in. It was in the shade out of wind on my north facing porch.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might not be. 🤞

If it is, it sure is too early, which isn't good, so skipping repotting is safer.

Why repotting anyway?

It doesn't sound like the right reasons.

Sorce
It’s breaking bud which wasn't happening a week ago. I’m repotting because it’s in nursery dirt in a nursery pot and holds a huge amount of moisture. It’s mud.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Feels like loads of places are having an early start of the growing season. Crossing my fingers we will not get our first real winter next month. Feb normally is the coldest month. In cold winters dropping into the sub-zero F range. I have loads of green in my trees already and have repotted many trees already. Insane.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Feels like loads of places are having an early start of the growing season. Crossing my fingers we will not get our first real winter next month. Feb normally is the coldest month. In cold winters dropping into the sub-zero F range. I have loads of green in my trees already and have repotted many trees already. Insane.
We had days of 60+ up to 70 degrees in December and beginning of January. We’re usually frozen solid by now for a couple months but it’s been unseasonably warm this year

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How much work was done to this tree in recent history?

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can I vote to wait until a time more appropriate for your zone? Can't imagine frigid winter temps are through in your area.
I wouldn't think twice re-potting in March, even in leaf. Crabs pretty vigorous post-flowering period. Late March, April....

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You got me worried so I checked on my apple and pear trees (full size, not bonsai) and none of them are cracking bud.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this tree in July at a local show for the price of a pitcher of beer. Not even good beer. It’s a wretched thing with a hideous split trunk and two pretzel rod trunks coming off of it. I bought to see if I like it and if I can keep it alive in my yard. It hadn’t been worked on since 2017. I threw it in a raised bed with my hot peppers and roots grew through the plastic nursery pot into the dirt.
I’m not the “ I HAVE TO DO AN EMERGENCY REPOT RIGHT NOW!” kind of guy. I can wait, I know we have cold weather coming although I’m not convinced it will be sub zero weather. Either way I do have means to protect it from freezing if I do repot it. I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions, thanks!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that the northern area of winter storage you mention is well sheltered from most the wind....and that area probably gets warmer than you might think because of the total wind shelter....causing the early wake-up.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think that the northern area of winter storage you mention is well sheltered from most the wind....and that area probably gets warmer than you might think because of the total wind shelter....causing the early wake-up.
Until you get the Jet stream set up over top of you jetting the Arctic or Canadian Northerlies
or a stalled high pressure to the West of you or LP to the East, or just tight isobars. Then the South side gets the protection :)
It was 80ºF here just over a week ago. I'll be going in the "cave" to water tomorrow
and will check on mine to see if it's as @Cable put..."cracking bud" 😊

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My porch is wide open. It was just out of direct wind. I’ve read a little about winter storage and from what I recall “out of wind and sun” seems to be pretty standard. It wasn’t in a garage or my greenhouse, just on the porch.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
About ready to strap the headlamp on and take a closer look at my sheltered trees... 55F on Xmas, our warmest ever. Now through end Feb is our coldest time. Definitely most mild winter in memory. Good luck with the crab crackin bud breaker.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this tree in July at a local show for the price of a pitcher of beer. Not even good beer. It’s a wretched thing with a hideous split trunk and two pretzel rod trunks coming off of it. I bought to see if I like it and if I can keep it alive in my yard. It hadn’t been worked on since 2017. I threw it in a raised bed with my hot peppers and roots grew through the plastic nursery pot into the dirt.
I’m not the “ I HAVE TO DO AN EMERGENCY REPOT RIGHT NOW!” kind of guy. I can wait, I know we have cold weather coming although I’m not convinced it will be sub zero weather. Either way I do have means to protect it from freezing if I do repot it. I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions, thanks!

Than for the info.

So it is untouched?

This a good sign for everyone with these buds Poppin. Since it's every tree and not just overworked ones. Pretty sure it's gonna sit like that till spring.

Any more movement yet?

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pretty sure it's gonna sit like that till spring.
Sorce
Over time I've had trees do just that....there’s a little activity, then it all slows right back down and waits for much warmer temperatures. I always thought that the bud begins an awakening because the branches get warmer. However, the roots are to cold yet, sometimes still frozen....so the magic mojo coming up from the roots doesn’t happen. So the buds don’t extend any further knowing there’s no back up resources heading up. They wait until the root mojo delivers needed supplies. It made sense to me anyway.

Top Bottom