Crabapple #1 Raft

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Starting a specific thread to document this tree. I've posted it in other combination posts- please ignore. This tree has survived two years post collection, so I feel comfortable with logging ongoing styling. This thread will serve as an ongoing journal, as well as for input.

This looks to be a Crabapple. I'm just going to continue the raft style and see how this matures. The big issue is going to be the overall height- I'd like each trunk to be higher, but I don't know how this will look, given how close some of the trunks are. There is one connected root between all of these trunks.

IMG_0098.JPGIMG_0968.JPGIMG_0970.JPGIMG_5123.JPGIMG_6566.JPGIMG_6567.JPG

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm super excited to see this tree come out of dormancy this spring. I'll snap better photos when it does
DSC_2350.JPGDSC_2351.JPG

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting beginnings! I’m looking forward to seeing how you continue to differentiate the heights of the trees and create levels of open space.

Last year @Mike Hennigan shared a bunch of crabs he grew out from seed. I put them together in an first forest.

My challenge now is to differentiate the shapes and heights of the trees...they are all the same year group.... and to selectively prune to force some trees to stay smaller while others thicken up. To help I’m adding old wood cuttings to the forest floor to see if these will take.
B17C0E8D-4C1F-4E74-AD99-51DE7C3F580B.jpeg
cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom