Crabapple Advice

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Wife has ordered 2 5-6 foot Crabapples which she wants to put in 25 gallon pots out back. She is going to do it no matter what so my first thought is what soil mix should I use. I am thinking Topsoil, Michigan Peat, and Course sand in equal parts. They are decorative not Bonsai. The area gets a lot of sun so they will need a lot of water no matter what the mix. For now I am just concerned about keeping them healthy :cool: ANy comments on soil for this application greatly appreciated :)

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have an crabapples in pots, but I do have a couple of larger trees (Oak and Redwood). I also add pumice to the mix. I like it because its fast draining and is light, so the pots aren't quite as heavy if I have to move them around. I get the pumice at a feed store under the name "Dry Stall" I have been using it for about a year and half and I'm pretty happy with it.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I dug a crab and it was on a soaking wet clay for (probably) several decades and I am amazed it survived. They are a thirsty bunch so keep that in mind. I am clueless but would probably use half potting soil + half topsoil if I am doing this myself now.

Top Bottom