Crabapple air layer dilemma

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I received an airlayered crab from a friend. It is planted in 100% pumice which is supplying it with LOTS of water which it is obviously utilizing.
I wanted to leave it undisturbed for this entire season and repot (or up-pot) into a nicer pot with a bit more room.

We want to take a few 4-5 days to week vacations later this summer or fall.

I don't intend to make it a traditional bonsai but more like a sorta ikebana to show off the blossoms when they come. Also intend to change the angle and point that long one up to around 45 degrees and prune out some of the excess branches that have formed.

Do you think it could withstand a repot this year? I'd be very careful to include as much pumice as the rootball (whatever it looks like) would retain and put it in with my usual aka, lava, firbark mix with a goodly amount of the organic for it.

My other thought would be to dig in some of the organic to retain moisture if it only got 8 minutes on the timer once a day like the rest of the trees.

What think?crab.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If the layer was separated this year, I would definitely do nothing to disturb the roots. Maybe set the pot in a shallow pan with some rocks so when your irrigation system waters, the pot sits in just 1/2” of water, which should evaporate or be absorbed by the next watering. That, and/or cover the soil surface with a good layer o sphagnum moss. Just be careful that the sphagnum doesn’t dry completely, or it can become hydrophobic.

BTW, pumice is really not retentive.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Now I feel dumb. 🤡

Yes...in a pan. How simple. It would love it.
The guy who made it and gave it to me said he does all his air layers in pumice and advised me to keep it there for the year.

Top Bottom