Crabapple Air Layer

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hey BNuts!
Just wanted to share my first air layer success on a Crabapple from the backyard. Still new to the art on my 3rd year so I was surprised it worked. Started it after flower bloom last year and separated in early fall. I used the sphagnum moss / bag method and did see a few roots at separation but wished there were more. Potted it up and kept in garage over winter hoping it would survive. So check it out. It's got leaves and flowering just like the mother tree. Trunk is about 2in with another bend under the soil. Plan is to just let it grow and hopefully get some new branching over the years.
I am truly amazed and humbled by the power of nature. Also, very thankful for this forum. Thank you to those who share your knowledge, wisdom and experience.

Attachments

• 20220429_081019.jpg
    20220429_081019.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220429_081055.jpg
    20220429_081055.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220429_081110.jpg
    20220429_081110.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 35

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looking good. I got 2 going right now. I pinched the buds and layered as the buds began to swell. So far so good. Maybe I will have as good of luck as you.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Looking good. I got 2 going right now. I pinched the buds and layered as the buds began to swell. So far so good. Maybe I will have as good of luck as you.
I do wish you luck and keep us posted. Not sure if it matters but the branch I operated on developed some fruit during the rooting process so I cut those off thinking it would push more energy to root development. But I could be wrong.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I used the sphagnum moss / bag method and did see a few roots at separation but wished there were more.
Congrats on your first success of many.
With more experience you'll be amazed at how well layers can do with very few roots.

Removing flowers and fruit probably doesn't do much but doesn't hurt either.

Top Bottom