Crabapple forest

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice. I threw a few extra in there for everybody. Keep in mind that crabapples from seed are kind of a genetic grab bag. Those should all be green leafed. You may end up with one that has leaves that don’t quite fit the forest but you can scoop that out at the next repotting. Generally speaking they have similar sized leaves. Looking forward to see what you do with them!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice. I threw a few extra in there for everybody. Keep in mind that crabapples from seed are kind of a genetic grab bag. Those should all be green leafed. You may end up with one that has leaves that don’t quite fit the forest but you can scoop that out at the next repotting. Generally speaking they have similar sized leaves. Looking forward to see what you do with them!
I really appreciate it I'll try to do you proud.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Gotta pick a pot...

20200307_100530.jpg20200307_100556.jpg20200307_100700.jpg20200307_100724.jpg

Hmm... deciduous are usually in a glazed pot. That first one is the only one glazed. I should go to the store and see what other pots they might have on hand.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You may want to cut the duct tap/bag off them and rebag them if you’re going to store them in the fridge for much longer. The reason I duct taped was the compress the roots down a bit so they would fit in the envelope ok. But probably not as much air in there around the roots with the duct tape on.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You may want to cut the duct tap/bag off them and rebag them if you’re going to store them in the fridge for much longer. The reason I duct taped was the compress the roots down a bit so they would fit in the envelope ok. But probably not as much air in there around the roots with the duct tape on.

Potting today. I like the first and the third. Or one of these...

Attachments

• 2020-03-07 12.10.50.jpg
    2020-03-07 12.10.50.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 2020-03-07 12.10.50.jpg
    2020-03-07 12.10.50.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 61

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry about that. I was trying to post from my phone and it didn't look like it worked the first time. Tried again, still nothing. Gave up and posted from dropbox. Then noted all three went thru.

Anyway, I decided I didn't like any of those cheap pots so I'm most likely going to go with the large rectangle in my first pic. I gotta make some muck to build it up a little. Or maybe not. We'll see!

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dude nice start! You could wire some movement in now too if you want. They’re super vigorous at this age. But looks like a great start already! Well done with the placement.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good point. I didn't even think to do that since they're bareroot aand not established but it is pretty much now or never. I'll take a look at some of the straighter ones tomorrow.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You are having entirely too much fun! :cool:
Right? I need some fun. I think we all do. I feel bad for some of my project trees, though. A lot more of "I wonder what would happen if I..." than before. :D

On a related note, though, you know what I'm struggling with? I wire a trunk or a large branch and the wire is nice and tight. Then I bend the shit out of it and while the bend itself is right what I want, there ends up being big gaps in some spots. Is that unavoidable or am I using bad technique?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you know the direction the bend will go as you wire, bend the branch, at least partially into position, as you apply the wire. This will keep it tighter. WIre should end up on the OUTSIDE of the sharpest or apex of the bend.

Second tip, hard to explain. If you applied the wire clockwise, and bending loosens the wire, you should have wired counter-clockwise. (and the reverse too). Try removing the wire and changing to the reverse rotation. Then the wire should tighten as you bend. Take a few branches from landscape trees in the yard, and try it out. It is hard to visualize from a typed description. It does matter whether you wire clockwise or counterclockwise. After some practice you will see which direction to wrap just looking at the direction of the bend. Wire should be on the OUTSIDE of the sharpest point of the bend.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I knew about wire being on the outside of the bend and intentionally bend to do that. It is usually wire further from the bend that ends up being loose. I didn't know about the rotation being an issue. Usually I wire two branches and the wire rotates in opposite directions on them. Not the case for the trunk, though.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

They're all leafing out now.

20200425_143347.jpg

Well, all but one. It looks like the littlest one didn't make it.

20200425_143353.jpg

Two of them ended up being red leafed. I'm thinking of just leaving them! We'll see. Like you said I can take them out during the next repotting but they might look ok.

20200425_143357.jpg

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Haha yea I figured one or two red leaf ones might sneak through. Can always remove it in a year or two and develop it on its own if you’re not happy with it in the composition. Good to see them leafing out!

Top Bottom