Crabapple layer prep

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am planning some crabapple layers (next year maybe). How much prep work can I do? As in developing a trunk with taper and movement?
I have already made my selections and did a chop in early spring, like a trunk chop if it were in the ground.
Has any one else developed a bonsai on the mother tree before layering off?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Try tying a thick wire really right above where you want the layer, as it grows and finishes the season it’ll induce swelling and taper-something crabapples don’t naturally have. I read about it in a Japanese blog once that someone here posted but I’ve since lost the link.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now is the perfect time to put a tournequit where you want to layer. As the tree continues to swell during the growing season, the layer site will also swell around the tournequit. You can also wire. I would not trim too much at this time because you want as much vegetation as you can get to help power the layer.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Prepping is great. Just remember you want a significant amount of foliage above your layer, so don't cut your future top and limbs back to nubs right before you layer.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I will try some tourniquet of some sort.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I am planning some crabapple layers (next year maybe). How much prep work can I do? As in developing a trunk with taper and movement?
I have already made my selections and did a chop in early spring, like a trunk chop if it were in the ground.
Has any one else developed a bonsai on the mother tree before layering off?
You can do as much prep as your patience allow. I have a couple branches I’m going to eventually airlayer that I’ve been working on for 3 or so years now. It’s like growing Bonsai without all that tedious day to day stuff.

Top Bottom