Crabapple Profusion

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a crab apple tree that I am planning a trunk chop this spring.

I am in southern Louisiana and my official spring is mid March.

This tree has “swelling buds” at the moment. Should I consider truck shop now or wait until early spring?

I might be answering my own question here, but probably waiting to the spring would be a better idea. In the back of my mind, all this talk about swelling buds has me at least posing the question here.

Attachments

• 888462AB-63F4-4BEC-A1E6-F9D2C41FCEF4.jpeg
    888462AB-63F4-4BEC-A1E6-F9D2C41FCEF4.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 70

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You’ll probably have an earlier spring this year. And it’s already flowering. Usually that is a sign bud break will occur soon. New foliage can be damaged by frost. I think waiting until bud break would be fine. They are pretty hardy. I always have an area in the shop to put trees in at night in case of late freezes. Just to protect new foliage. So whether you do it now or in a month or so. I think the tree will be fine. But when you do the chop. It would be wise to protect the new leader from freeze if it starts growing. I always check weather forecasts to be prepared.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the heads up! I can tell this tree is very hardy. I clipped few branches and new shoot almost overnight!

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Everything I read say cut/chop flowering trees after flowering. Besides Louisiana has a loooong growing season. If you let it flush and grow for a bit the energy will have a chance to go back to the roots. This will give you better growth after the chop. Spring chopping is for retarding growth. The biggest thing about chopping is to make sure there will be time to harden the rampant growth. What is the ultimate size in mind? The trunk should be fairly close to the final diameter.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Ininaatigoons Yes, very close there is a nice taper on the base as it is now. Thanks for asking about final size, I have been working on that and would love your input. Wrote a few notes few days ago but I think I wrote down incorrectly where I wanted to chop for the Crabapple or if 10" was the final height(?).

I am leaning to go for a chop at 5" and total height of 15". What are your thoughts? I can paste a picture of the base later today.

Attachments

• Capture broom.JPG
    Capture broom.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 32

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The classic formula (prescribed method) is 1/3 up and 1/3 more and 1/3 more and so on and so forth until the apex which is to reflect the first section. And 1:6 to 1:11 ratio of trunk thickness to height. If all trees followed this form how boring would the art be? Anyways it seems like you have a plan. Just remember to try to keep it documented and progression posts.

Salvarez

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The classic formula (prescribed method) is 1/3 up and 1/3 more and 1/3 more and so on and so forth until the apex which is to reflect the first section. And 1:6 to 1:11 ratio of trunk thickness to height. If all trees followed this form how boring would the art be? Anyways it seems like you have a plan. Just remember to try to keep it documented and progression posts.
Much appreciated!

Top Bottom