Crabapple renovation

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice tree Judy!

I picked one up from Diane at WeeTree in Feb. It's a cool tree, BUT after reading Stans commetns I fear I may hve a problem... It took off after I got home because I've had to keep it in the basement due winter weather here... and my new shoots are well over 2" long...lol...like 4"-5"!!!.. Any suggestions? Judy or Stan?
Hope Stan see's this.
Sounds to me like if it didn't matter to you if it flowers, you could cut back bits at a time. Crabs are pretty strong trees, but go slow. You could wait till late winter next year as well.
But I only know how this tree works, and from what I've read, the different varieties may respond differently. Would love to see pics of other crabs!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If your tree is in the early stages of development, you can trim back those 4-5" shoots. If any non fruiting branches develop (which happens maybe 20-40% of the time depending on the species/cultivar) you'll know in a year or two and can remove them. Otherwise, just let them grow this year, reduce nitrogen, wire them with some exaggerated movement when the base of the new shoot begins to harden, and cut them back to a minimum of 2 nodes in the fall (at leaf drop). This can actually be a good way to develop thicker branch bases.

Judy, looking good. Nice branch structure, just keep ramifying, and this tree will look great in a few years.

Last edited:

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
and now a scaffolding spammer... I've seen it all now

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reminds me of our huge mango tree back in the Philippines. At harvest time, scaffolds made of huge and long bamboo framework are added, pulleys are attached to top branches and harvesters traverse the branch network with the aid of the "scaffold" like monkeys to collect fruits and load them on hanging wicker baskets. Baskets are lowered and replaced once full via the pulley system.

You see, there is room for scaffolds in trees...maybe the idea can be used for a "unique" presentation instead of the fishing and relaxing mud men,. LOL ;)

bdwarner

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Judy you have a wonderful crab apple there. I'm wondering how the ramification continued to develop for you over this past summer. I would love to see a progress picture if you have one.

I'm hoping you or stan might be able to answer a question I have. I'm wondering how long pruning scars take to heal? I have a crab I like very much that I acquired last spring but there is a large nasty pruning scar on the proposed front. Any tricks to keep the callous rolling over? I am thinking of incorporating a deadwood (shari I think its called, like yours) feature in the future if it continues to be an eye sore. I like the trunk and most of the branches but I need to fill out the canopy, create ramification, and do some more rearranging of branches. It seems pruning for ramification is trickier than I thought.

Also on a side note I've read deadwood isn't good on deciduous trees and is prone to rot. I've yet to do any deadwood on anything yet but I'm interested in your thoughts on this application. I also noticed I think BVF has some deadwood on his hawthorne, and seen videos of graham potter carving D trees.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Putting the tree back in the ground will always be the fastest and best way to heal large wounds,carveing is a option.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have the tree where I can't do any photos of it currently, but I think it's coming along. I have no problems with rot and this tree has been carved like that for 20 years. I have done a treatment of wood hardener on it but it holds up just fine. I like uro on crabs, if done right it can make an interesting feature.

bdwarner

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have the tree where I can't do any photos of it currently, but I think it's coming along. I have no problems with rot and this tree has been carved like that for 20 years. I have done a treatment of wood hardener on it but it holds up just fine. I like uro on crabs, if done right it can make an interesting feature.

Thanks for the info. I've been more and more interested in deadwood features lately but I'm not to sure my crab would look quite right with it yet, I think I need to stare at it more. Im looking forward to spring updates.

Top Bottom