Crabapple starting to bloom.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Pretty color, what is the variety?
Bustripia Freebiana. ;)

We went on a bonsai club bus trip to various gardens and nurseries.
On the trip back, while quaffing the complimentary booze, I .... WON :cool::rolleyes:.... it in a drawing.

It was an air layer with the ...basic.... shape it has now. I kept it in the pumice all last year.
Looked for a blue pot. Found one.

Kinda reminds me of ikebana all sticky uppy floral like it is.

:)

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice! I have 3 and 1 is leafing and the other 2 still budding.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
This is a nice tree Mike.

For the pot, I would eventually move it to a round pot where the rim of the pot would be equal to or wider than the depth of the pot. I would still use a glazed pot. This one, the tall blue cascade, is not bad, but really does not match the style for the tree. Maybe a pot like one of the ones below.

by Ching-wen Chen 7.75 inches diameter x 2.5 inches depth
pot no 1304 - 7.75 wide 2.5 tall - 77usd with ship1 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

by Lynn August - 2 inches deep x 5 inches diameter
LynnAugust inv1718-pot 2-375 inches x 6-125 inches-Dec31-2015a (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

By Koyo - 5.6 x 5.6 x 2.4 inches
5.6 x 5.6 x 2.38 inches-75usd with ship2 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heed what Leo said. My first thought was pretty tree. My second was pot's all wrong. I can't separate:) the two. Pot brings tree down imo.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I love trees on slabs, but not this one. It needs a refined lower pot imo.
That's why I mentioned ikebana a few posts above. I think it's closer to that than bonsai.
Is there an ikebana-nut site?
;)

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The "tree" was an air layer and spent the past year in deep pumice developing roots. When removed for pot, the roots were distributed along the length of the stick bottom. Part of my pot choice was to bury that root area.
Plus I kinda liked it for the tall skinny flower display.
Too bad the blooms are so short lived but even with only leaves for most of year, I still enjoy the look. :)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I get the Ikibana look.
Like I said, pot choice is not horrible.

And if you decide to develop it as a weeping tree, the pot would be perfect. To get a crab apple to weep, you need to use wire, and wire down every branch. It can work nicely.

Just offered options to pick up a more bonsai feel rather than a ikibana feel. But I do like the abstract nature of Ikibana.

I definitely would not use a slab. That would be a "step to rustic" for a tree that is enjoyed for the refined beauty of its flowers.

Top Bottom