Crabapple tree question

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello everyone.
Just got an old crabapple tree that has been neglected for some time now. It currently has a fungus that I hope to control before next spring.
How well do these trees backbud on old wood? This is my first crabapple so I have no experience with them. I would like to cut it back hard, but I'm afraid that it won't back bud and may loose some branches in the process.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never had one.

However, I would think that the tree may be working to develop those fruits further..thereby, allocating resources away from combatting leaf issue.

Because of this, I believe the first thing I’d want to do would be to remove everything reproductive.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, awesome tree! Not sure if removing fruits will make a difference, maybe. Spray the tree with a fungicide, mancozeb or daconil will do the trick I would think. Though not sure exactly what specific fungal issue the tree has.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Apples in general usually back bud very well. Although at this point I'd just spray for fungus, defoliate at first sign of cold weather, and cut back hard in early spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah. I wasn't going to cut back this year. I just wanted to make sure that when I did it would grow back.
Thanks

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Steven1969s
So your friend passed off the fungal problem to you, or was your "friend" you the whole time?;););)

Nice tree though, regardless of the present fungal issue!

I would love to have one as a bonsai, but I know it would have problems in my yard because of:
15338496449822006333484.jpg

Hard to tell, but that is a 25' "dwarf" apple tree. Gets fungus so bad it literally only has leaves near the top. There was a 25' Hollywood juniper that was about 15' away (the tops we're basically touching, luckily my landlord had it cut down a couple years ago), this is why I mentioned cedar apple rust in your other thread. I'm sure the fungus was loving these two trees so close together...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Steven1969s
So your friend passed off the fungal problem to you, or was your "friend" you the whole time?;););)

Nice tree though, regardless of the present fungal issue!

I would love to have one as a bonsai, but I know it would have problems in my yard because of:
View attachment 205089

Hard to tell, but that is a 25' "dwarf" apple tree. Gets fungus so bad it literally only has leaves near the top. There was a 25' Hollywood juniper that was about 15' away (the tops we're basically touching, luckily my landlord had it cut down a couple years ago), this is why I mentioned cedar apple rust in your other thread. I'm sure the fungus was loving these two trees so close together...
Actually all my trees are very healthy. The reason that I bought this tree was price ($250)and because the pot itself is worth a lot of money.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was just teasing you because in the other thread you were asking about a friend's tree, and now it's yours! It's a really great tree and if it was mine, it would easily be my best tree!

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hate to say it but that really looks like Cedar apple rust. If it is, you have a problem. Just to be on the safe side I would isolate it from all your cedars. If you do any work on that tree, be sure to bleach your tools before working on other trees.

Top Bottom