Crabapple truck chop

boratjan

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys I bought a nursery crabapple which i truck chopped. Currently leaves are formning but then they die again and new leaves appear which then also die after awhile been going on for about a month with no branches emerging. Its late spring here where I am. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Also what type of soil do they prefer?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not sure...don't know the species of tree. But am curious if you are having it in full sun. I know many who pull worked on trees out of the direct sun for awhile until the tree becomes stronger.

Are you fertilizing? What exactly is your regiment for care your giving now?

boratjan

Seedling
Reaction score
I currently have it in semi shade and am watering it sparsely because the compost soil stays wet very long. not currently using fertilizer

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hey guys I bought a nursery crabapple which i truck chopped. Currently leaves are formning but then they die again and new leaves appear which then also die after awhile been going on for about a month with no branches emerging. Its late spring here where I am. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Also what type of soil do they prefer?
Check the roots. Is there a chance the soil is staying too wet?

Reaction score
Hi (Jan?) ,
I also repotted a Crab in late Aug which was making leaves all.winter but since the repot theres been no growth at all- its still looking dormant

I didnt rootprune at all and its in bonsai soil in a tub
Where are you, Gauteng/KZN/ ?

boratjan

Seedling
Reaction score
im in north west. It is making leaves but they die as soon as they reach the fully grown stage then it will make more leaves somewhere else and it will also die and so it continues there is however always a few leaves on the tree but they never make any branching maybe i can upload a photo

boratjan

Seedling
Reaction score
here are some images of the leaves

Attachments

• crabapple1.jpg
    crabapple1.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 53
  • crabapple2.jpg
    crabapple2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
Im more towards De Wildt- so similar climatic conditions
Will do on the weekend, going home on the weekend

boratjan

Seedling
Reaction score
O ok yes im in lichtenburg I have family in brits. Do you know of any place in North west where I can find bonsai pots without breaking the bank

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get it out of De Wildt.!

Lol I thought that was a French disease!

All it does is de wildt!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wrong poster.

Still funny.

Reaction score
Its more of a land district hahaha
De wildt would probably mean something like The wild

Great Falcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The chop area

here are some images of the leaves

Did you seal the cuts? i don't want to sound dumb, but if you didn't seal it the tree might be confuse and is waisting energy somewhere else and is just sprouting on that middle section as a sucker otherwise it should start a new branch close to the cut. just my two cents.

boratjan

Seedling
Reaction score
yes i sealed the cuts.

I removed the soil from the container and discovered that the bottom soil was very soggy. so I think it might be a drainage problem anded some loose stones to the bottom and used a different soil. there aren't alot of roots but i can see the feeder roots are forming. Can the constant wetness maybe be the issue?

Great Falcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes,

yes i sealed the cuts.

I removed the soil from the container and discovered that the bottom soil was very soggy. so I think it might be a drainage problem anded some loose stones to the bottom and used a different soil. there aren't alot of roots but i can see the feeder roots are forming. Can the constant wetness maybe be the issue?

to much water might contribute to that, if feeder roots are forming make sure is not to wet because they might rot quickly and might be the only ones feeding the tree, and try maybe giving little more sun but not to much a this stage to much sun can hurt the leaves too.

Top Bottom