Crabapple

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Guys , I need some help. I know nothing about D-trees so I just bought a small crabapple at Lowes. ( smart !!!! ) I then borrowed a pr. of sheers and cut it in half so I have about a 30" trunk left. I did leave a few branches with leaves on them. So far I think I'm OK. The question now is do I repot it into bonsai soil immediately like I would a juniper or can I leave it in it's present typical sticks and junk soil and repot in the fall.

Second question : I'm in the process of eliminating akadama from my potting soil. I'm using a 50/50 mix of pumace and lava. Will this work for the crab?

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Crab apple responds to being given some room. All of mine went to field for three to seven years. Cutting out the strongest leader every other year builds taper.

if you want a twig inna pot plant it in a shallow pot. You can keep a crab a twig for years. And it'll stay a twig.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with coppice, you'll have to let it go to get a basic shape if it's not currently what you want trunk wise.

As far as soil, mine likes a deeper rather than shallow pot, and some organic in the mix. I used turface/bark for years, and now am haydite, river sand, turface, and bark. They don't like to dry out.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I am convinced (and I'm often wrong, but rarely in doubt) if you let your crabs bulk up enough to bloom to field, they'll return to blooming sooner when you finally do tray them up.

The Budwizer moment for apple & pear is bloom.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
OK , now I'm even more confused. I see the reasoning behind planting it in the ground , IO just don't have the space. The trunk is " OK " now as I'm not looking for a large tree. I really want to know if it's OK to leave it in the soil it's in till next fall or spring.

Pictures ......well I guess so but it's really booreing right now.

Last edited:

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Picture ...see nothing really there yet

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom