Crabapples From Seed

spengstrom

Seed
Reaction score
Hello!
Can anyone with the benefit of experience speak to the effectiveness of cold stratification on various crabapples?
I've come across several references to crabapples germinating in a handful of weeks online, but any genus of Malus native to the regions (Malus Baccata, Malus Ioensis) is described as needing at least as long a period of cold stratification before germination is even possible.

Currently I have some locally sourced samples in my fridge, freezer, and on a windowsill in peat and sand, but would love to hear what more experienced practitioners have seen!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is very easy to germinate crabapple seeds. I did not do cold stratification at all. Just removed the seeds and put them into the soil.
One thing you should be aware is that crabapple seedlings would take many years to have a first bloom. I am talking about at least 15 years or more. If you want to have it bloom soon, you have to graft the crabapple which already has fruits on the seedling. Have a good luck on your project.
Thụ Thoại

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I give mine at least a week of cold stratification but ive had success without. They just seem to sprout quicker with

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Many sources just specify stratification for all temperate species. Often they just reference other previous sources without any real checking to see if it is reality. I've found that quite a few species that reputable sources say require stratification have grown quite well without in my area.
Having said that there are some that do require it for good germination and stratification certainly does not hurt which is probably why so many make those claims.
If you have enough seed why not try both and see what really works then let us all know.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The thing with crabapple is you are collecting seeds in the fall anyways. So it is not hard to throw in a pot and store with your other hardy trees. They then sprout well in the spring. Otherwise depending on climate once sprouted you'll need to tend to them indoors until spring. So depending on your setup that might be easy or hard.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The thing with crabapple is you are collecting seeds in the fall anyways. So it is not hard to throw in a pot and store with your other hardy trees. They then sprout well in the spring. Otherwise depending on climate once sprouted you'll need to tend to them indoors until spring. So depending on your setup that might be easy or hard.
I've collected in summer and sprouted a week after collection. They then grew enough to lignify and overwinter outdoors with all my spring started seedlings. All about timing. You can even sprout indoors in late autumn/winter and bring outdoors in spring

Top Bottom