"Crack" Juniperus procumbens Question

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These 5 little plants all started out ranging from 3 - 5 inches tall collected from sidewalk cracks and such in 2011, 12, and 13. there is a total of 5 and I don't really know why I took them other then to see if they would grow for me. Until the photo they were all in 3 1/2 inch nursery pansy pots and are now in 6 inch nursery pots.

They have been growing in topsoil mixed with peat, kept damp and shaded.
They have been thinned out twice allowing air and light between the foliage.
They have survived a few Winters on the ground covered in snow.

It seems to me they are healthy enough and was curious when one could "guess" they will lose the juvenile growth and start looking proper. So far they are and will continue to be an experiment testing my growing skill and I am asking out of curiosity.

Thank you advance ;)

Grimmy

Attachments

• GEDC1483.JPG
    GEDC1483.JPG
    410.4 KB · Views: 161

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
they don't really look like procumbens to me... mine are waaaaay more compact and the trunk tends to circle back to the floor.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm pretty sure these are Juniperus virginiana, which have a hard time producing the mature scale foliage, especially in captivity. Disclaimer: I killed my couple of attempts with "volunteers," but, I would think that putting into full sun would be more likely to coax the mature scale foliage. That and not trimming them back for a while

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
they don't really look like procumbens to me... mine are waaaaay more compact and the trunk tends to circle back to the floor.

I'm pretty sure these are Juniperus virginiana, which have a hard time producing the mature scale foliage, especially in captivity. Disclaimer: I killed my couple of attempts with "volunteers," but, I would think that putting into full sun would be more likely to coax the mature scale foliage. That and not trimming them back for a while

Thank you both, I am looking forward to what others pipe in with. I was told they were Juniperus procumbens when they were smaller and honest I have no idea. For the most part I tried to grow them before buying anything knowing that most often I am better off understanding the species for a few years first.

They were much fuller the last two years and the interior foliage looked like hell so I trimmed it all away the last two seasons.

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with FancyPants, they dont have the typical P. nana growth pattern and the foliage looks wrong. If they are indeed p. nana, they need to do a lot more growing before they change into their adult clothes.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree with FancyPants, they dont have the typical P. nana growth pattern and the foliage looks wrong. If they are indeed p. nana, they need to do a lot more growing before they change into their adult clothes.

Honest when I pulled this having next to no knowledge of Junipers I was thinking they might be one of several pines at the old house :rolleyes: The foliage on these is very sharp tipped and I made it a point to clear out the thick inner stuff the last two seasons as it looked bad. They turn blue/purple in Winter and go to this deeper green with light green tips when they wake up. I by no means care how long they take to mature or even how big they get - just trying to take my time and understand Junipers better with a free small lot of 5. My question is more of "I" am curious :)

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
J. Virginiana, is probably what they are since that is the most ubiquitous juniper native to the east coast and they recruited in a sidewalk crack...lol

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They look like Eastern Reds to me as well. I'm no expert but mine have adult foliage for the most part. However, the bark is also flaking on mine so maybe there's a correlation between the two?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I might make a "spruce" forest with mine this summer.

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Isn't eastern red ceader and J. Virginia the same thing???

Vin was just referring to the common name, rather then it's scientific. But yes same thing and these look like red cedar. What do you have planned for them as I would tend to just go plant them in a field and find something more interesting. Gonna be a few years before those are anything to wiggle a finger at.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Vin was just referring to the common name, rather then it's scientific. But yes same thing and these look like red cedar. What do you have planned for them as I would tend to just go plant them in a field and find something more interesting. Gonna be a few years before those are anything to wiggle a finger at.

I really never planned anything for them. I just am doing what I advise so many to do and that is to be certain you can grow a potted plant before investing a lot in stock. I guess that makes them learning plants for me ;) I won't be putting them in the ground for better growth, they are easy to handle and move about the way they are. I am pleased so many agree on the variety though and I will read up on them. Once mature I will experiment further by planting some in muck on a slab to learn how to keep them healthy that way but again just to learn the plant in my climate :)

Grimmy

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I really never planned anything for them. I just am doing what I advise so many to do and that is to be certain you can grow a potted plant before investing a lot in stock. I guess that makes them learning plants for me ;) I won't be putting them in the ground for better growth, they are easy to handle and move about the way they are. I am pleased so many agree on the variety though and I will read up on them. Once mature I will experiment further by planting some in muck on a slab to learn how to keep them healthy that way but again just to learn the plant in my climate :)

Grimmy
I have one in a pot that I smushed by putting a couple big rocks in the pot. I laid one at soil level and the other on top of it with the trunk in the middle. I think I'll take the rocks out this year and just wire it all twisted like. Like yours, zero money invested.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have one in a pot that I smushed by putting a couple big rocks in the pot. I laid one at soil level and the other on top of it with the trunk in the middle. I think I'll take the rocks out this year and just wire it all twisted like. Like yours, zero money invested.

After a year in tight soil they take bends fast. One of those shorter one's would be 10 inches tall instead of 6. As I was saying it is a learning lesson for me and seems to be going ok so far :)

Grimmy

Reactions: Vin

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yep, that's why I said "as well".
Sorry vin.. I must have just been skimming and missed that! Also, the "correlation between the two" part threw me off, I guess. It must be all thebrain cells I've killed in my day ;P

Last edited:
Top Bottom