Craigslist Concave Pruners

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
As part of an amazing Craigslist score today, the seller threw in these cutters. Can anyone help me with an ID?

I think I recognize the chop on the pots. :eek:

IMG_1231.jpgIMG_1228.jpgIMG_1234.jpgIMG_1222.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like a good score! :cool:

Sara Rayner pot ...but you know that already. Can't help with the tools.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Two Sara Rayner pots, nine issues of Bonsai Today...

I went to look at the trees (cork bark maple and cork bark elm). He said, "well, if you're going to take the trees, you might as well take all of this stuff too." His son moved out a while ago, and Mom was tired of watering the trees. He seemed quite pleased that it was all going to someone who would appreciate it.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so we can see you got some nice goodies. The question is, how much did you spend?

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
The ad said something like "Two 20-year old bonsai. $25 each. Cork Elm and Cork Maple". He just gave me the pots, tools and magazines. I handed him $60 and said that I didn't need any change since he was including the pots too.

I almost felt bad, like I was somehow taking advantage of the situation. But he didn't seem at all worried about the money and definitely was happy everything was going to a good home.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Alright...how many people, after reading this thread, hopped on to Craigslist and did a search for bonsai related items ? I know I did...nothing but over priced sticks in pots in my area.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
The son is gonna be PISSED!!!

...nice score!!;)

I thought the same thing.

I should add that I've checked Craigslist almost daily for a long time (maybe a couple of years), and this is the only thing that I've purchased. Often it's either way overpriced trees from someone trying to downsize or mallsai like junipers in pots for $25. Or some thing that isn't even bonsai related but has the word thrown into the description to get clicks.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought the same thing.

I should add that I've checked Craigslist almost daily for a long time (maybe a couple of years), and this is the only thing that I've purchased.

Mat,

Sometimes you get lucky. Both you and the seller are happy, can't get better than that. :)

I still remember purchasing my 5 pc set of Masakuni on Craigslist (for $100) with numerous Japanese bonsai pots. Recently, I bought a Tormek T7 (sharpening system) for a fraction of the price. Can't wait for the holiday break to have a sharpening binge! LOL :eek:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
at that price, you did well. The pots alone are worth more than you paid. Almost like an auction without the angst.
As has been said, buyer and seller went away satisfied.

Craigslist in my area is usually fruitless. Someone who's had an ill-kept tree in need of serious styling asking for waaaay more than it's worth. But you still keep an eye out for that elusive set of $100 Masakuni tools.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't forget the numerous FREE mature landscape trees. ;) I basically gave up already because there is too much of it and no longer have space for more.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Alright...how many people, after reading this thread, hopped on to Craigslist and did a search for bonsai related items ? I know I did...nothing but over priced sticks in pots in my area.

I would be pleased to see that. My area has nothing... :(

Top Bottom