Craigslist Juniper

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I repotted the Juniper today. The pot is not my favorite but it is what I have. So I made it work.

I teased out the roots all roots. I was more aggressive on the front half, going with a modified half bareroot. The soil had a little bit of crushed granite, sand but mainly it looked like potting soil. Not a lot of growth but a fair amount of circling roots.

I didn't tilt it as much as I would have liked but It is a slow process. About 1/3 of the wire has been removed as it has started biting in. I imagine most of the wire will be removed by summer as it starts to grow more. I am going to let it grow out some and regain health from the repot.

IMG_2034.JPG

Last edited:

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I after the repot I lost a bunch of one side. I’m not sure if I cut the wrong root or if it caught a fungus... but none of my junipers like it since I have moved.

My plan is to take all the wire off as it is starting to bite in. Cut the dead stuff off and trim some of the down pointing branches and see if it will come back.325B7563-C0E8-4C36-A776-5C22B2823DBA.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like the good stuff is still there!

S

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I after the repot I lost a bunch of one side. I’m not sure if I cut the wrong root or if it caught a fungus... but none of my junipers like it since I have moved.

My plan is to take all the wire off as it is starting to bite in. Cut the dead stuff off and trim some of the down pointing branches and see if it will come back.View attachment 209422
I would jin what is remaining vs cutting it off.

I had a Sierra Juniper I had the wire on too tight near the base which was strangling the tree. If your wire is biting in like you said, check to see if that was your culprit. Juniper typically has thin bark and thin cambium.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok, noooow its time to jin....

Sorry to see that...
I still think there are too many branches for the relative thickness of the trunks...thats why I originally said I'd jin...and go for literati...
But its good to slowly work it down to a small amount of branches with foliage...I have one now that I'm working with, for that goal...

Just one dude's opinion....good luck!

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I cut the dead branches off. Started to take the bark off the dead portion. Slow going because it’s been dead for a while. I don’t know how much farther down I’ll go I’ll probably just leave it like that for now.

E10808DB-88FE-43EF-8111-8F625B2E7ADF.jpeg

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This tree has given me lots of problems. Borers, fungus, etc. it’s slowly died back but some of the branches are still growing. I haven’t styled it in a couple years. I decided to move some branches around.

I’m going to give it a year or 2 and see how it does. I might try bringing the left trunk closer to the right.
E17C2951-EA36-421E-A10B-B418320E9183.jpegEF7D00B9-62E9-41BC-AA1E-A1DC7E997F10.jpeg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I might try bringing the left trunk closer to the right.
I agree. I don't like how parallel they are. I would move the left, over, into and around the deadwood of the right side. Make that second branch on the left the apex.
CW

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I agree. I don't like how parallel they are. I would move the left, over, into and around the deadwood of the right side. Make that second branch on the left the apex.
CW
I don’t think I could bend that much. There is a lot of borer damage and it’s old wood, 30+years. I’ll give it a couple more years and see how it does.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
I reckon the jin needs reducing in height to balance it more, It looks like it's striving to beat the living part to gain advantage!!

Nice tree though!!

John 👍

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reduced side/bigger trunk looked great semi cascading. Not so much as flat bottom;). Gone to EBS meeting yet?

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
No, going to semi cascade would be taking the easy way out.

pm me the details of the meetings

Top Bottom